Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E-edition newspapers

E-edition newspapers

After having the printed newspaper in our home growing up and all my married life - we have cancelled our paper subscription and signed up for the electronic paper.

My wife is a bit hesitant, she likes to spread the paper out on the dining room table. I found myself for the last few years mainly just skimming it before work and
    never really getting back to it in the evening. Current subscription rates are $ 55.00 for "about" 8 weeks, home delivery. E-edition is $ 7.99 per month or we
    paid for the year in advance which was $ 49.99.

With my dd's family moving to the east coast this Spring - that is more than an airline ticket! I think it will be like when we cancelled our land line, a bit weird at
    first, but we will get use to it.

What has your experience been? Anyone still subscribe to a printed paper?

I went to the paper office to settle my bill and change my subscription - wow - the building has and is being remodeled and offices are being leased out to
    other businesses. It use to be quite operation - now you can hardly tell what goes on there. It was bought out by a big conglomerate this past year.

We still do. It is only delivered four days a week. We also have the digital version which DH reads every day. I'm not a fan of that format so I read the printed copy. Plus we have many uses for the actual paper.

I get two digital newspapers and love it as a delivery system. My fingers don't get black from the ink either. The delivery for the local is early so that I can read it before my day starts and the other arrives at 6:15pm for my evening read.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

klunick
    My husband was the newspaper reader in our house. We went from seven days a week delivery to Sunday only delivery to now we don't get one. We were the last ones on our Court to stop getting a paper. I honestly don't know when the last time I saw a paper in anyone's newspaper bins along the roads I travel. I guess everyone gets their news online or TV nowadays.

I really miss the tradition of spreading out the paper for a morning read over coffee, but quality of coverage and reporting has gone down hill so much in my local paper that I don't do either. The electronic local paper allows a handful of free articles a month and unlimited free reading for the entertainment section and obituaries. I can browse the headlines and read an occasional article and that's usually all I need. I don't know if it's gaming the system too much, but if I reach my limit of articles I can refresh my browser and start over, but I don't do that very often.

I haven't read a newspaper for years, although I was a daily reader for decades. Friends just canceled their subscription to a little local rag whose yearly cost had gone up to nearly $500.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplemind View Post
    We still do. It is only delivered four days a week. We also have the digital version which DH reads every day. I'm not a fan of that format so I read the printed copy. Plus we have many uses for the actual paper.
    Yes! We get our local weekly paper, and I value the many uses of the actual paper in addition to the reading content. I'm never going to stir a can of paint on top of a digital publication! My subscription also gives me electronic access, so when local FB groups link to articles, I am not impeded by a paywall.

I went to electronic and eventually canceled all together.

This subject is emotional and close to home for me as I worked for our local newspaper. It is a family-owned paper and ran 7 days a week until last week when it stopped Monday publication. They also laid off employees and deleted one press run so now you can't open the morning paper and get scores from local or national games that finished after 8 p.m. They are available on their e-edition to which all daily subscribers have access.

My husband and I almost didn't know what to do with ourselves last Monday morning with no paper. (ok, hush all you naughty-thinkers!). We sit together on the couch and read every morning cover-to-cover, saying, "Did you see this? Did you see that?" It's a personal ritual which I realize is going the way of the dinosaur. My grandchildren think it's weird that we get a paper and sit and read for an hour every morning.

This is just to say we will likely always keep a delivered paper subscription as long as they have it. This is how we get our local news. Also, I think we catch stories we might scroll by if we were only looking at the online version.

Then there's the comics, sudoku and Jumble....!
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I read the daily paper every morning at work for years and also enjoyed the Sunday ritual of wife and I sitting in our recliners exchanging sections of the Sunday paper each week. Now, it's been several years since I've read a hard copy and I do miss it, although to be fair our local paper was downsized to about 2/3 scale about the same time my ability to read small print expired. Reading it now is not the same.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Thread Information