Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: living out a childhood dream

living out a childhood dream

I'm starting ballet lessons this evening!!! My daughter has been taking ballet at this studio since she was 3 (okay, its was "creative movement" the first few years). She's now on pointe (11 1/2 years old). I'm trying not to be pushy and live through her, really!

At any rate, at Parent's Watch Week last month, I was watching her class do barre work, stretching and dancing and thought - what a great workout - I would love to learn to do that (not the pointe stuff). The following week, the studio owner sent out an e-mail asking of any adults (presumably parents of current dancers) were interested in taking a class! SQUEE! I have to get some shoes this afteroon, but she said I could wear what i want, so, will show up in yoga pants and a workout shirt (tights and leotard? I don't think so).

Just need to verify that this class WILL NOT be participating in the spring recital.

Are you trying anything new this year?
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

I'm teaching myself to play the recorder. And I'm going to take up the keyboard again, if I can find one suitable for a beginner that's not too "beginnerish".

My son is starting to teach music lessons and I am having him teach me piano. I wish I would have taken tandem lessons with him when he started. It isn't coming easy and it gives me a great appreciation for those that are naturals.

Simplemind - I have an organizing client who is a piano professor; her finances are kind of tight, but she needs help! I'm thinking of trading an hour of keyboard lessons for an hour of organizing. I took lessons as a kid, but quit (mom was right - I'm sorry). Would love to be able to play.
    "Do not accumulate for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break in and steal. But accumulate for yourselves treasure in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, your heart is also." Jesus

beckyliz, you are living my dream! Would love to do ballet!
    I began working out at a gym this week. First time in over a decade. Feels good to use muscles that have remained dormant for so long!

I started a mixed martial arts class 5 nights a week. I've done traditional martial arts for years but this is new to me. I like that it is less structured and rigid than traditional martial arts. leaves you freer to try out different things without having to be exact in form.

I played the flute from grade school all the way through high school and played in concert and marching band. There is a small 'symphony' in my area that plays classical pieces and gives free concerts. I love classical music and have started practicing when I can with the hope of joining this fall. The members are volunteers and you don't need to audition. Good thing since I haven't really picked up my flute in 25 years. Where else would I be able to play well-known classical pieces with a string section?!! I even found a very simple elegant black dress in the Salvation Army for $3 to wear for their concerts (men wear tuxes).

Enjoy your ballet class! I took up tap dancing in my early 20s and loved it! You can't help but be happy when you're tapping.

bl, I am in AWE of you! Way to GO!

I fancied myself a bit of a dancer and went to a dance exercise class one day. ha. ha. yeh. I lasted, and I'm not kidding, lss than two minutes. There was no one else in the class. The very young teacher was, I think, overly optimistic about what her pupils with no dance training could do. HOnestly, I couldn't follow the movements.

Class was pretty fun last week! There were 3 of us. I admit, that I do not like that big wall mirror LOL! First position was a bit of challenge for 51 yo knees, that, plus the fact that I'm carrying around an extra 80-90 pounds! Oh well! It was great to stretch and use my brain and body at the same time. That's the cool thing, I've found, about being middle aged. I don't really care what others may think of how I look (not that anyone said anything, of course).

Onward!

oh ch*t, the wall mirror. Yet another reason why you are one smokin' brave woman.

Thread Information