Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Curious---what time do you get up in the morning?

Curious---what time do you get up in the morning?

The e-edition newspaper thread got me wondering...

DH and I get up pretty early so that we can have our coffee-newspaper ritual before work. Sometimes people I talk with are surprised when I tell them I get up between 4:30 and 5. I suppose when I retire I'll sleep in longer.

But for right now, it's worth it to me to have that quiet time with him, and after he leaves I have a bit more time to myself before hitting the road. I consider this part of my simple life intentions.

How about you? Do you carve out time in this way? Or do you stay up late and sleep in instead?

ETA: wasn't sure where to post this really---mods may move if desired.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I wake up by about 5:45. I'm dressed in morning walking clothes, downstairs, have the cats fed, and the computer on by 6, which is when I take my daily med - which is why I am up before/by 6. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I go to bed when tired and get up when I wake up. No more alarms since retiring. Between 5 and 730.

klunick
    During the week, I go to bed at 8pm and wake up at 2:30am for work. On weekends, I try to stay up until 10pm but am usually up and on the move by 7am.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I go to bed when tired and get up when I wake up. No more alarms since retiring. Between 5 and 730.
    I'm pretty much the same, even though I'm not retired. I work from home, and unless I have an early morning telephone interview, or have to leave for a flight, I can make my own schedule and get up when I please. I find I need 7+ hours sleep, so if I get to bed by 10, I'm up around 6-6:30. If I stay up later watching TV with DH, I get up later. If I am freaking out about a report deadline, I get up at 3:30 or 4 because I seem to be brilliant and focused between 3:30 and 8am and after that it's all downhill.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Funny, I was musing just a couple of days ago about how irritating I find the notion that there's some ethically superior time to rise. Early to bed, early to rise ... I'm betting it was a rhyme made up by farmers to get their boys out to the barn. I'm pretty much like Gardnr, although if I'm doing swing trading I'm up before the owls.

I suppose when I retire I'll sleep in longer.
    I'm getting up the same time I did when I worked. So many of years of doing that, and its just habit. And that time is 5 ish. Sleeping in means 5:30.

No alarms, just when hubby wakes. I wake up when he brings up my coffee.

We got up at 4 when I was working and now we get up at 5, which feels relatively luxurious. DH leaves for work at 9:30, but we don't like to rush. We have time now for coffee/internet, nice walk, then breakfast before he leaves. I usually leave a little after him for dog-walking and Mom visits.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    I suppose when I retire I'll sleep in longer.
    I most certainly do. Workstress is a sleep killer. I was lucky to sleep till 4am. 5am was rare. For the first 10 weeks I was retired, I slept 9-11h/night!!!!!! Since then I generally sleep 8h with 1-2 nights a week at 9-11.

Sleep is a glorious thing! I worked full time from age 15-58 and went to school until I was 31 as well (3 degrees). I doubt I've slept like this since I was a 12yo.

Yppej
    5:05. In spring when I don't have to scrape ice off the windshield or clear snow off the car it will be 5:15 again.

Thread Information