Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Curious---what time do you get up in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by Sad Eyed Lady View Post
    Never been a morning person and envy those who are.
    Nothing to be ashamed about! I think people definitely are cut out to be either morning or night people. I am definitely a morning person, and in fact, when the kids were small I refused to help them with homework after 9pm because I simply couldn't process information. I was never one of those college students that could pull all-nighters on a paper. I had to go to bed and get up at 3 or 4 and work.

DH is a night person/I'm a morning person. We're probably in bed together 4 hours total.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I'm flexible. I've worked every shift possible; most often four to midnight. Now I generally rise sixish, earlier in the summer.

klunick
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Nothing to be ashamed about! I think people definitely are cut out to be either morning or night people. I am definitely a morning person, and in fact, when the kids were small I refused to help them with homework after 9pm because I simply couldn't process information. I was never one of those college students that could pull all-nighters on a paper. I had to go to bed and get up at 3 or 4 and work.

DH is a night person/I'm a morning person. We're probably in bed together 4 hours total.
    When my husband and I still slept in the same bed (don't anymore because of snoring (him)), there would be times when he would be coming to bed and I'd be getting up for work.

When I worked I got up at 6:30. Now I go to bed between 9-11 pm and get up between 6:30-8. I never make a appointment before 11.

When I was younger I was able to adapt somewhat to various shift type work, but now I try to stick to a routine. Pretty much 9 to 5 sleep, maybe sleep in a little later in the winter and a little earlier in summer. In the latter years of work I worked long days and was not shy about taking a short power nap of 10 or 15 minutes at my desk after lunch. A tradition I've tried to maintain or extend to 15 or 20 minutes.

My wife and I have been waking up at 3:30 a.m. for years, ever since the kids were little. It was the only time to sit quietly and enjoy breakfast. I'm usually dead tired when the sun starts going down. Lately, we've been doing things on Wednesday night and Thursday night at our local Zen center. By Friday, I feel pretty beat up from not getting enough sleep. I feel like I become dysfunctional if I don't get around 9 hours of sleep. Growing up, I would sleep for three hours in the afternoon and six hours at night, and I think that's still what my body wants to do.

During vacations I naturally sleep from 10-11 pm til about 8. When I’m working it’s 8-9 pm til about 6. I feel best on 9 hours of sleep.

My colleagues who survive on 4-5 hours are alternately jealous and superior-feeling. Because our country is ridiculous in our worship of hard work and self-denial.

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    During vacations I naturally sleep from 10-11 pm til about 8. When I’m working it’s 8-9 pm til about 6. I feel best on 9 hours of sleep.

My colleagues who survive on 4-5 hours are alternately jealous and superior-feeling. Because our country is ridiculous in our worship of hard work and self-denial.
    I read something that said that sleep is the bridge between hope and despair. There's something about the restorative nature of sleep that is absolutely essential to our wellbeing. I never understood the idea behind forcing residents in medical school to work on very little sleep. According to my Fitbit I tend to need about 7-1/2 hours.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I have always needed a lot of sleep and never skimped on it.

I get up at 5:00am on the days that I go into the office. I'm lucky in that my job allows me to telework 2 days per week. So, on my telework days, I sleep in until 6:00am or so. They say that it's best to keep your sleep routine consistent to within about 90 minutes, so I think I'm still good with that degree of variation. Sadly tho, since I have to commute across town, I pretty much just rush to do that basics of getting ready and fly out the door. My quiet time is more in the evenings. I hear lots of people say that they can get by with 6 hours or sleep, some people even less, but for me, I need 7.5 hours, or I'm just not focused and productive, and it becomes counterproductive at that point.
    There is nothing impossible to him who will try. -Alexander the Great

Thread Information