Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Martin Luther King on the "creation of the beloved community"

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Price County, WI
    Posts
    1,152

    Martin Luther King on the "creation of the beloved community"

    Love is creative and redemptive.

    Love builds up and unites; hate tears down and destroys.

    The aftermath of the 'fight with fire' method is bitterness and chaos;
    the aftermath of the love method is reconciliation and creation of the beloved community.

    Yes, love -- which means understanding, creative, redemptive goodwill, even for one's enemies -- is the solution.


    -Martin Luther King Jr.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,448
    Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Love is creative and redemptive.

    Love builds up and unites; hate tears down and destroys.

    The aftermath of the 'fight with fire' method is bitterness and chaos;
    the aftermath of the love method is reconciliation and creation of the beloved community.

    Yes, love -- which means understanding, creative, redemptive goodwill, even for one's enemies -- is the solution.


    -Martin Luther King Jr.
    I've never seen this before. Thanks for posting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

  3. #3
    Senior Member razz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    6,018
    Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've never seen this before. Thanks for posting.
    +1
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,716
    One wonders how he might have viewed today’s identity politics.

  5. #5
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,817
    Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    One wonders how he might have viewed today’s identity politics.
    I think not well, it goes against the "content of their character rather than......." legacy he left us.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,356
    Oh please--stop with the silly "identity politics" shtick.

    We all have identities--generally multiple. And we all consider them when we participate in political campaigns and vote.

    "White stockholder" is an identity. "Republican" is an identity. "Evangelical Christian" is an identity. You can do better than this.

    BTW, that quote was new to me, and a good one.

  7. #7
    Simpleton Alan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    6,817
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "White stockholder" is an identity. "Republican" is an identity. "Evangelical Christian" is an identity. You can do better than this.
    Yes they are, but only to those who engage in identity politics. To everyone else, they're just people who happen to be white or Republican or Christian.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    5,716
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh please--stop with the silly "identity politics" shtick.

    We all have identities--generally multiple. And we all consider them when we participate in political campaigns and vote.

    "White stockholder" is an identity. "Republican" is an identity. "Evangelical Christian" is an identity. You can do better than this.

    BTW, that quote was new to me, and a good one.
    I think “identity” in the way you are using it is largely useless magical thinking. Can a white stockholder be expected to act or think substantially differently from a black stockholder of the same net worth? Does aggregating yours truly with Warren Buffet make much logical sense? Can there really be some element of solidarity among investors trying to outguess one another?

    Using external characteristics to lump people into groups for various purposes, especially in assessing some level of moral indebtedness, does not strike me as consistent with the man’s thinking.

  9. #9
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,356
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes they are, but only to those who engage in identity politics. To everyone else, they're just people who happen to be white or Republican or Christian.
    On the other side, as well. What's the point?

    Clearly, right-wing talking points are lost on me. We are all informed by various associations; they make us who we are. We vote accordingly. I don't buy that only Republicans are truly objective and pure of motive. I've seen way too much.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •