Thread: Martin Luther King on the "creation of the beloved community"

Martin Luther King on the "creation of the beloved community"

Love is creative and redemptive.

Love builds up and unites; hate tears down and destroys.

The aftermath of the 'fight with fire' method is bitterness and chaos;
    the aftermath of the love method is reconciliation and creation of the beloved community.

Yes, love -- which means understanding, creative, redemptive goodwill, even for one's enemies -- is the solution.

-Martin Luther King Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    Love is creative and redemptive.

Love builds up and unites; hate tears down and destroys.

The aftermath of the 'fight with fire' method is bitterness and chaos;
    the aftermath of the love method is reconciliation and creation of the beloved community.

Yes, love -- which means understanding, creative, redemptive goodwill, even for one's enemies -- is the solution.

-Martin Luther King Jr.
    I've never seen this before. Thanks for posting.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    I've never seen this before. Thanks for posting.
    +1
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

One wonders how he might have viewed today’s identity politics.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    One wonders how he might have viewed today’s identity politics.
    I think not well, it goes against the "content of their character rather than......." legacy he left us.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Oh please--stop with the silly "identity politics" shtick.

We all have identities--generally multiple. And we all consider them when we participate in political campaigns and vote.

"White stockholder" is an identity. "Republican" is an identity. "Evangelical Christian" is an identity. You can do better than this.

BTW, that quote was new to me, and a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    "White stockholder" is an identity. "Republican" is an identity. "Evangelical Christian" is an identity. You can do better than this.
    Yes they are, but only to those who engage in identity politics. To everyone else, they're just people who happen to be white or Republican or Christian.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Oh please--stop with the silly "identity politics" shtick.

We all have identities--generally multiple. And we all consider them when we participate in political campaigns and vote.

BTW, that quote was new to me, and a good one.
    I think “identity” in the way you are using it is largely useless magical thinking. Can a white stockholder be expected to act or think substantially differently from a black stockholder of the same net worth? Does aggregating yours truly with Warren Buffet make much logical sense? Can there really be some element of solidarity among investors trying to outguess one another?

Using external characteristics to lump people into groups for various purposes, especially in assessing some level of moral indebtedness, does not strike me as consistent with the man’s thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Yes they are, but only to those who engage in identity politics. To everyone else, they're just people who happen to be white or Republican or Christian.
    On the other side, as well. What's the point?

Clearly, right-wing talking points are lost on me. We are all informed by various associations; they make us who we are. We vote accordingly. I don't buy that only Republicans are truly objective and pure of motive. I've seen way too much.

Thread Information