Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has Travel Changed You.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

Has Travel Changed You.....

In any way, and if so, how?

This for me is a very deep question. An anti semetic experience I encountered in Austria during my first visit there in 1987 haunts me to this day. What I learned from this experience over time is respect for those different from me that pose me no harm.

Interesting it should be Austria that taught me this, but I thought I'd start by answering my question myself. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    And I posted this to the wrong forum. Alan, could you move the above post to travel? Sorry for the absent mindedness. Rob

I have always been aware of extreme poverty, etc but actually seeing it is disturbing. Many of the Caribbean islands are like this. Touring Auschwitz gave me a panic attack but I worked through it and finished the tour. I love to travel and mostly find it enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    And I posted this to the wrong forum. Alan, could you move the above post to travel? Sorry for the absent mindedness. Rob
    Okie Dokie
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    An anti semetic experience I encountered in Austria during my first visit there in 1987 haunts me to this day.
    What happened?

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I have always been aware of extreme poverty, etc but actually seeing it is disturbing. Many of the Caribbean islands are like this. Touring Auschwitz gave me a panic attack but I worked through it and finished the tour. I love to travel and mostly find it enjoyable.
    I felt really nauseous and overwhelmed at Dachau.

I have learned the world is a very small place with everyone trying hard to get ahead. In America we (personally) live a totally protected and privileged life which we should not take for granted.

People in other countries are just as hardworking (maybe more) and want the same for their children.

I can and do look at global news with a different attitude.

I can't say it changed me--since I was small I had a fascination with people from other cultures and places--but travel colors my world.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Spending 30 days in the Netherlands with family at age 18, I have been forever grateful for space. The space in our home (1650sf), the space in our small yard-gigantic compared to my Uncle's who loved to garden, the spread out here in the West in general. 40y later, I still appreciate space.

I think I am changed when I go somewhere and leave the mentality of day to day concerns behind me. I don't feel like the fact of people's differences and sameness, or even their evilness and goodness, is a lesson I needed to learn in this life, I'm always pushing the boundary of what "normal" or "ok" looks like just because that's how I think, but I need lessons - over and over - in how to let go of making every last detail a harrowing priority and focus on what matters and what is directly in front of me, and travel is a great way to get into that mental space.

Thread Information