Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has Travel Changed You.....

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Spending 30 days in the Netherlands with family at age 18, I have been forever grateful for space. The space in our home (1650sf), the space in our small yard-gigantic compared to my Uncle's who loved to garden, the spread out here in the West in general. 40y later, I still appreciate space.
    I think that experience is interesting! I can see how a small country with small crowded city street and houses lined up to each other is a big contrast to the wide open spaces of our West.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think that experience is interesting! I can see how a small country with small crowded city street and houses lined up to each other is a big contrast to the wide open spaces of our West.
    1 of Dad's sister's along w/husband, raised 3 kids in 400sf 3rd floor walkup. They had a murphy bed in the dining room and a curtain they drew across after moving the table/chairs into the Living Room at bedtime. I believe they were in that apartment until my uncle died last decade. Their kitchen was a 1 sided galley perhaps 12f long. 4cf fridge, 2 burner stove.

We are indeed spoiled.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    1 of Dad's sister's along w/husband, raised 3 kids in 400sf 3rd floor walkup. They had a murphy bed in the dining room and a curtain they drew across after moving the table/chairs into the Living Room at bedtime. I believe they were in that apartment until my uncle died last decade. Their kitchen was a 1 sided galley perhaps 12f long. 4cf fridge, 2 burner stove.

We are indeed spoiled.
    Our Swiss relatives have big houses. I was surprised about how big the old houses are. They are many stories and I think they are weirdly designed, but there is a lot of square footage. And low ceilings. They are not the English style of houses.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    What happened?
    It's very hard for me to discuss, Bae. Let's just say I saw the dark side of Austria beyond the wonderful social welfare and the higher than US standard of living, especially for the working class - I saw the dark side up close and personal. And to this day have major issues with it. Rob

Yes, I like to think travel has changed me in positive ways.

I was an exchange student at 17 and the experience definitely had an impact - the sights, sounds, people, living day-to-day, etc. But I believe I have changed even more from that experience as I have aged. I was young and more "un-thinking" back then, and as I've aged, I realize how much I would like to have done different. (But - at the same time, having things happen as they did - I've learned.)

Traveling as an adult, I think I am more adventurous then when I was younger, and it makes a difference in how I perceive things and, hopefully, how I am perceived (again, positively, I hope.)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We had a friend come over last night that’s from Scotland. She had great tips on what to see there and in Ireland. She also warned us that if we rode in a black taxi in Northern Ireland to not answer any questions relating to politics or religion. She said if they ask don’t answer or they may find your bodies in a field. Lots of tensions leftover from the war.

When I was a young woman, I lived in interior Mexico for a while and learned a whole other way of life. Even this many years later, those experiences stuck with me about how tight hispanic families and communities can be. It was pretty wonderful by comparison.

Thread Information