Thread: Walkable, sunny place for winter?

Walkable, sunny place for winter?

My parents hit their snow saturation point last week and would like to escape the north for a month or so. They are somewhat familiar with Phoenix and Tucson, because I used to live there, but they would like to go somewhere that they can get around for groceries and other basics without a car. They do not desire any activities other than a nice place to walk and sit outside and get some sunshine. Peace and quiet are ranked much higher than things to do. Any ideas?

South Carolina--we lived in Beaufort, so would do that, or Charleston, or Savannah area.

I have a partially disabled Aunt/Uncle who go to Yuma for 2 months. They love it!

Are they OK with Uber and Lyft? If so, perhaps it would be viable to take Amtrak to Phoenix Sky Harbor (PHA), and then Uber/Lyft to a VRBO or maybe Extended Stay America at 2055 W Chandler Blvd.
    I mention ESA because I understand they have a senior rate, and it would be walkable to the Dobson branch of the Mesa Public Library. Visitors can get a temporary library card if they document they have a room in the ESA. Also, by a look at the map, I have a hunch it would be walking distance from ESA to the Rose Garden - Mesa Community College. Safeway is walkable distance east of ESA on W Chandler.

Caveat: I have never had my boots on the ground in Chandler... I am just going by map reference.

1. Is this on a tight budget, 2. how much walking do they do? Is a mile to the grocery store "walkable"? I love Old Bisbee (AZ) for its walking streets, but the things in walking distance are definitely specialized - they don't allow any franchise stores within the OB city limits except for one gas station. So you can walk to "the market" or "the chocolate shop" or "the noodle store" and get some yummy upscale food for upscale prices, but the Safeway is definitely a bus ride away. Also quite a liberal place, that might make a big difference if they're strolling around meeting and greeting all day.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I have a partially disabled Aunt/Uncle who go to Yuma for 2 months. They love it!
    I was gonna say downtown yuma seems like a pretty place and it's definitely warm.

Thread Information