Why am I the only one?

Why am I the only one...
    Who notices that the trash can is overflowing
    Who notices there are dishes in the sink when the dishwasher is empty
    Who notices crumbs on the counter
    Who notices bits of stuff on the floor
    Who notices water all around the sink

Why? Why? Why?

If it is any consolation, you are not the only one.

I wonder why someone is being helpful and does the dinner dishes, but leaves dirty pans and utensils on the stove.
    How someone can live in the same house for 30 years and NOT know where the strainer goes?
    Why someone goes through leftovers in the fridge searching for work lunch, opens a container that DEFINITELY has gone bad, puts the lid back on and puts it back in the fridge!?!

I have come to the conclusion that these are some of the great mysteries of the universe.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

At our house I'm betting it is my husband who asks that question. In my defense, I also have a list. We have favorite chores and between us almost everything gets done by one or the other. The kitchen is his domain and I gladly leave him to it. He could care less about the fine details of yard work like never walking past a weed or deadheading the flowers and remembering to water. I still can't figure out why he puts his dirt clothes near the hamper but not inside and insists that it is his "staging area" but has no explanation as to why it is necessary to stage. We are each blind to the areas that aren't important to us.

klunick
    Last night I got on my youngest about leaving a dirty spatula and cake crumbs on the counter. Woke up this morning to find that my husband had left a dirty spatula and cake crumbs on the counter a few hours later after youngest had cleaned his mess up.

I have been married 3x’s and only my second husband was neat. I asked my husband to turn the stove on to preheat the oven and he didn’t know how. We have only had the stove 10 years. Ugh!

Yep. Entitlement, basically. If you don't know how to properly do a job that's a normal part of your adult life and you're past dormitory living by more than a year and not paying a maid, check your privilege: counters do not wipe themselves, filthy pots and pans are not the purview of house elves. As I write this, the garbage is being taken out to the alley with a flourish - but I happen to know the catbox has yet to be scooped and the bathroom pail is still full.

Eta: of course lawnmower carburetors don't clean themselves, and stuffed gutters are not the purview of house elves either, I do occasionally have to turn the tables back on myself here.

"Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Since we lived together for almost 6 years before marrying I cannot complain. He has good qualities and we have fun. But there are just 2 of us. It would be different if we had raised kids together.

I have no idea how long you've been married. I've been nearly 40 years. I will say what I always say: relationships are negotiated. I talked to hubby about stuff like this right out of the honeymoon. It takes 2 to make a happy home-not 1. He picks up as often as I do.

I don't think it's ever too late. Sit down with him and talk about it and how it makes you feel. You are partners in this thing called life.

Quote Originally Posted by klunick View Post
    Why am I the only one...
    Who notices that the trash can is overflowing
    Who notices there are dishes in the sink when the dishwasher is empty
    Who notices crumbs on the counter
    Who notices bits of stuff on the floor
    Who notices water all around the sink

Why? Why? Why?
    Well, you want to act like their mom, and they expect you to, then what would they do if you start wiping their faces, or show up with adult diapers? Would they get the clean up after themselves hint?

Thread Information