This morning I went in feeling a little stressed and uncomfortable about something at work. And I had a very hard and honest conversation with my boss, and I left feeling so much better. And she seemed happy too.

It reminds me how important it is to steer by my own compass.

when I told dh about the situation, he said, well, it sounds like you can either do the thing, or not do the thing. And I said “but I feel like I’m being forced into the thing and I don’t like it.” And he told me that is what managers do.

Apparently employees don’t go in and say, so are you cutting my other options to force me to do this? Or did you really not like the other options? And if not, why?

My boss said she liked the other options but they conflicted with other things - here is why (i could trade for some if I wanted, but I don’t want to) and she didn’t want me doing the thing if I didn’t like it, but here was the reason she needed the thing and she didn’t really have anyone else to do it. And then we talked about it for a while and came up with a new thing that I do like that replaces the original thing. So I’m going to do that.