Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What has been the hardest part about minimalism for you?

Simple living is choosing how to spend one's energy and the results of one's efforts. I agree with the others above who don't equate minimalism with simple living. I have what I need for a simple but rich life and enjoy it.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Happy, dealing with others junk is always a struggle. Our stuff are treasures but theirs not so much)

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    Happy, dealing with others junk is always a struggle. Our stuff are treasures but theirs not so much)
    LOL. True.

But, seriously, I do understand that they have their own "treasures". I just want them to realize THEY will have to deal with their treasures. We plan to seriously downsize within the next 2-5 years and there simply won't be room for the stuff and us. I'm using the time to scale back. It's going to be very interesting. LOL.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

We downsized to 1400 sq ft but unfortunately it came with a huge shed in the backyard. I have made my husband get rid of a bunch of stuff and have done a lot of cleaning out when he is out of town. He still has too much junk in our 1 car garage and his office. The shed is half empty.

Quote Originally Posted by happystuff View Post
    LOL. True.

But, seriously, I do understand that they have their own "treasures". I just want them to realize THEY will have to deal with their treasures. We plan to seriously downsize within the next 2-5 years and there simply won't be room for the stuff and us. I'm using the time to scale back. It's going to be very interesting. LOL.
    This is actually part of the reason I backed away from building a "dream home" - DH wanted a Smaller house, and he's already claimed 90% of the space in the one we live in now for his stuff. I would love a smaller home, but a smaller home with the same amount of things, treasures or not, would be a living hell. DH has moved five times in the last 15 years, and not once has he actually dug in and dealt with this pile o', it just gets gathered in armloads and dumped out again in the new space.

My biggest personal challenge with the joy of less is not uncommon, "it still works ok and I might need a backup. or three." Right now I'm staring at three old laptops, I'm pretty sure DH has three of his own, and there's a fresh new beginning in the form of an Asus Zenbook currently zooming its way toward me. It's like ... keeping it because it's still good makes me frugal or virtuous somehow. Think I'd better embrace a little sin and dump a couple!

"The Difference Between Simplicity and Minimalism. ... Simplicity is the state or quality of being simple. Minimalism is any design or style in which the simplest and fewest elements are used to create the maximum effect. Simple living is a minimal, low-consumption way of living sometimes called minimalism".

Just Saying ...

Quote Originally Posted by Water&Air View Post
    "The Difference Between Simplicity and Minimalism. ... Simplicity is the state or quality of being simple. Minimalism is any design or style in which the simplest and fewest elements are used to create the maximum effect. Simple living is a minimal, low-consumption way of living sometimes called minimalism".

Just Saying ...
    Source? Simple living is not always minimal or low-consumption. We have at least a few members here who are devoted to really complex lives, often with the addition of plenty o' stuff. I'd say a more universal word than "minimal" for 'simple living', at least as it's practiced here, would be "mindful". Considering carefully, and then choosing what creates that perfect "enough point".

Quote Originally Posted by kib View Post
    Source? Simple living is not always minimal or low-consumption. We have at least a few members here who are devoted to really complex lives, often with the addition of plenty o' stuff. I'd say a more universal word than "minimal" for 'simple living', at least as it's practiced here, would be "mindful". Considering carefully, and then choosing what creates that perfect "enough point".
    I think you nailed it Kib, at least for my version of simple living.

Thread Information