Thread: Where do you find low cost or minimal work recipes? Seasonal ones?

Unhappy Where do you find low cost or minimal work recipes? Seasonal ones?

I collect “less” cookbooks: less time, fewer ingredients, less costs and seasonal ones.

Have an online source? Fave cookbook?

This is my favorite "anti-cookbook": Helen Nearing's Simple Food for the Good Life. But it's not online

https://smile.amazon.com/Simple-Food...s%2A=0&ie=UTF8

Here is an antidote for the whole foods enthusiast who is "fed up" with the anxieties and drudgeries of preparing fancy meals with stylish, expensive, hard-to-find ingredients. This celebration of salads, leftovers, raw foods, and homegrown fruits and vegetables takes the straightest imaginable route from their stem or vine to your table.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Favorite low cost: Good and Cheap- eat well on $4/day; Wildly Affordable Organic by Linda Watson -I like this one in particular because she has a whole system of doing certain tasks once per week to save time, and has several recipes that just swap out ingredients that are seasonal, but the preparation is otherwise the same.

Also for "seasonable" I like Recipes from the Root Cellar as it focuses on stuff available through the winter in New England (root veggies and greens). Pretty much any cookbook has vegetable recipes for the summer vegetables.

A new cookbook I just picked up, but haven't used much yet is Simple Green Suppers. This book is more of an approach to cooking veg dinners by pairing veggies with something else (grains, pasta, eggs, noodles, beans, toast). These recipes are a little fussy for me, but I like the general idea for meal planning. Since my husband went vegetarian a few years ago, the hardest thing was to rework the paradigm of meat potato vegetable that I grew up with. Wish I had this book when I first started making lots of veg meals.

As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Razz, thanks. I actually have that one...!

A fave fast cooking book 10 minute cuisine by green and moine, the spinach avocado cold soup is a regular spring tonic here. It takes longer than 10 minutes if you don’t use the specified baby spinach, and I don’t always.

I'd probably just eat deli meat rollups and hard-boiled eggs if I wanted the simplest meals.

I'm not an eager cook, but I am an eager eater. I use a lot of Asian curry pastes and seasonings in simple meat and vegetable or meat and rice meals. I like to browse cookbooks for ideas (I recommend Urvashi Pitre particularly), but I rarely follow recipes, except in baking.

Budgetbytes.com is one of my go-to sites. Most of her recipes are pretty easy to prepare/have relatively few ingredients.

https://www.simplyrecipes.com/ is another one I use a fair amount
    "Seek out habits that help you overcome fear or inertia. Destroy those that do the opposite." Seth Godin

Thread Information