Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you tip for furniture delivery?

Geila

Do you tip for furniture delivery?

I've ordered a large sectional couch (will come in 6 large boxes) with 'white glove' delivery included in the price. That includes assembly (the separate parts attach together with metal hooks) and room set up plus removal of all packaging materials. We have a one-story ranch so at least there are no stairs involved. Usually the purchase price is appx $200 more for online purchase with delivery versus warehouse pickup but the couch is on sale for $250 off, so not sure how much extra I'm paying for the shipping. I do know that we would have to rent a truck to pick it up if we went that route so there would be that expense plus the work.

Do I tip the delivery guys who set it up? If so, how much? Or does one assume that since the white glove service is included that tipping is not necessary?

I found this response to the same question online. I like this link because two responses are from people who were furniture deliverers.:
    https://ask.metafilter.com/277007/Fu...livery-Tipping

After looking online, it looks like it's not really expected, but a lot of people give $10-$20 depending upon the difficulty of the delivery and how well they do it.

I tend to err on the side of tipping for almost any situation in which a low-paid laborer is performing a service for me, whether or not the company pays them. I think the $10-$20 guidelines is a good one.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Geila
    Thanks Catherine! That was very helpful. I better make sure to have some cash on hand.

Yppej
    It's my understanding from people I know who have family members in this line of work that movers make good money for unskilled labor.

Geila
    I especially liked the guy who said that he was annoyed until he saw how happy his tip made the workers.

Geila
    Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    It's my understanding from people I know who have family members in this line of work that movers make good money for unskilled labor.
    These aren't movers though, they are delivery people.

I think it's easy to forget that manual labor is hard work and often underpaid and get focused on "what am I getting out of it?" and "how can I get the best deal?" mentality. I'm a bit embarrassed myself.

I always tip.

klunick
    I will tip if they go beyond what is expected. If the delivery is curb side and they bring it to the door or even inside. If it is front door service and they bring it inside. Things like that. With the recent remodel of our house, we have gotten a lot of furniture deliveries lately. I was shocked at how many only had one person delivering the stuff and it was bulky and/or heavy. How are these people expected to manage it by themselves? I will always help them if I can. That is why I will tip if they go the extra mile when they don't have to.

I did not tip when my sofa was delivered a few weeks ago. It didn’t even occur to me. I do make an effort not to be a pain in the A** customer, tho. And our delivery was simple, smallish sofa, just a few steps up, then plunk into our living room.

Today I did send a Thank you note and $50 to the vet tech who always handled our dog. We euthanized our dog yesterday and the same vet tech assisted. Our dog really liked him.

IL, I am so sorry about your baby. It’s so hard. Hugs.

Thread Information