Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What does simple living mean to you?

Steve, could you please tell me 26 kitchen trends that are outdated for the year 2020? I read all those articles because I’m trying to figure out kitchen cabinets for our Hermann house. I always like ivory cabinets And fear they are outdated now because they were so hugely trendy in recent years, I should find something else. But I like ivory cabinets in the kitchen always.

haha, kidding (about you tell me 26 trends)
    Last edited by iris lilies; 1-22-20 at 6:52pm.

I would get whatever I wanted and really liked. Trends fade in and out. I always have white appliances and otherwise neutral colours that make everything seem to blend and be timeless.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Really bland or really outre' are least likely to become dated. "Follow the herd" styles come and go.

IL, if you are planning on retiring in that house, do whatever you please. That being said, I also read every "What's in/What's Out" article and blog. FWIW, the house I'm staying at here in Ocean Grove has ivory cabinets, and I really like them. Countertops are beige granite.

IMG_1048.jpg
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    D. All of the above.

But I try.
    These are my answers as well.

I want to walk into my home and see only those things I love - for whatever reason: fulfilling a need, memories, etc. I want to be able to walk out of my home and not feel like I'm leaving anything behind. I want to be able to live my priorities - which I don't feel is an option at the moment since work is a necessity for basic survival. But I am working towards those choices.

I guess simple living means I will have enough... for me... and be satisfied with what I have. Tomorrow's definition may be difference. LOL.

I'm trying.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Steve, could you please tell me 26 kitchen trends that are outdated for the year 2020?
    I skip those articles. They're clickbait. They're all bingo hits on individual designers who relate their personal pet peeve at the moment. There's no attempt to achieve a consensus within the article. fwiw when we updated our kitchen, we went with Shaker-style maple cabinets, which are supposed to be long "out", white appliances, and a laminate countertop (I can hear the decorators shrieking in the background; at least it wasn't black).

We went with what we liked and what we thought looked good and wouldn't put us in debt. No regrets. But that probably puts us way down on the list of people to ask for decorating advice.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    IL, if you are planning on retiring in that house, do whatever you please. That being said, I also read every "What's in/What's Out" article and blog. FWIW, the house I'm staying at here in Ocean Grove has ivory cabinets, and I really like them. Countertops are beige granite.

IMG_1048.jpg
    This isn’t far off from what I’m thinking. We have a cottage and that is a cottage type kitchen. We will have wood floors. While I would love love love to have a wood countertop DH will not hear of that.

Thread Information