Thread: One Time You.....

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar

One Time You.....

Reached out to another human being and it worked out?

I'll start. I moved to Portland, OR after college and a year after I moved there, an acquintance from my college days moved to Seattle. This acquaintance was a close friend of the friend of mine that I split expenses moving to Portland with, and my friend gave me the acquaintances phone number in Seattle.

So unlike myself but I picked up the phone and wished this person good luck with their new life in Seattle. We've been close friends ever since - amazing as we have much in common personality wise but come from very very very different backgrounds. I'm not especially goid at reaching out to others and I believe it gets harder to do si as you get older, but I'm glad I did this back in 1992.

Interestingly enough, as a side note, this friend is female and has given me a perspective of what women's complaints about men are which has counterbalanced some of what I'm hearing from my Men's Rights friends.....i.e., things are tough all over. And I'm digressing, sorry. Rob

klunick
    Was in the waiting room of a vet office. Cute guy was in there so I tried to strike up a conversation since we both had ferret. He wasn't talking. I left and went home. Called the vet office later and lied and said I had been talking to the guy about a ferret play group but forgot to get his number. I asked them to call the guy and give him mine. Guy saw right through the lie but called anyway. We went out and got married THREE MONTHS LATER (and no, I was no pregnant!). That was almost 23 years ago and we are still married.

I was at the vet and it was packed. I never sit by little dogs when I had the big guy because it makes people nervous. Only one seat left right by 2 Yorkies. Told the woman Noki lives with little dogs. She was new to town and we hit it off. After a hour I gave her my card. She called me a few hours later and 3 years later we are good friends.

I have not seen a certain childhood friend for many years. I may have run into her less than a handful of times when I was in my hometown where she still lives. We had lived next door to each other as children through high school. But, neither of us is really a phone call type, so even though we'd been close as kids, we hadn't remained real close friends as adults....I thought.

One day last fall I saw her husband's name in the obituaries. I was overcome with grief for her to the point of tears. I told my husband I had to go see her right now. And I did, got dressed and went to her house immediately. We wept in each others' arms and talked for hours. Since then we've gotten together on a regular basis. She has no family at all, her parents both gone and her only brother too. She and her husband had no children.

It's extraordinary how strong those childhood roots and bonds are. If not for those, I may not have felt compelled to reach out to rekindle this friendship.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

We were in the crapper. Our house was being foreclosed on because DH wasn't working and I was making only $518 a month full time PLUS paying childcare. Our mortgage was $832. It was supposed to be our forever home but we were losing it. Somehow I happened to be talking to my cousin-in-law and I mentioned something about the house. I never asked her for anything.. not a thing.

But she sensed something wrong, and she talked to her FIL, my uncle, saying "You need to talk to [catherine]" and he called me up to see what was going on. He made all his money in real estate, and so he immediate got involved, shepherded me through getting a deed-in-lieu-of-foreclosure, was there to list the house and help me sell it, and though we walked away with no money, at least we were able to get through with some dignity intact, and not owe the bank anything.

Like you, Rob, I'm very independent and would never think of asking anyone for anything, but my cousin-in-law is the best kind of born-again Christian, who walks her talk. She saw a need and she did what she could to help discreetly, and it all did work out.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I saw an ad on craigslist for a small quilt kit or two. Got in touch and we met at a Starbucks for the transaction. Hit it off and we have been friends ever since. Have lunch at least once a month.

Joined an online parenting forum back in 1997. Fabulous group of women all over the country. Still chat online with one in California every Sat and Sun morning. Never met and big age difference, but know we are "soul sisters".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Reminded me of one other story. When the first internet groups were getting started, I sent out a forum request to meet people in England since we were going there. Another quilter got in touch, we met at a city where she took me to a quilt show, and invited me to stay with them but I did not that first time.

Since then, we have both traveled to each other's homes, visited many other quilt shows and keep in touch on the internet. Over 20 years of terrific friendship.

I was taking a Psychology class at our local CC and sat next to a gal who's vibe was very different than mine. She would strike up conversations with anybody next to her, hand out licorice and always had extrovert energy. When the class would take a short break she would pop out for a smoke and I usually stayed in the classroom and would often talk with the instructor who's husband was also teaching Psychology at the same CC. In that year several of us from that first class also took classes from the husband. We ended up having a group of 6 students and two instructors that really clicked. We didn't want to move on from there so the original gal I sat next to put together a dinner party where we could all meet off campus and enjoy each others company out of class.
    Fast forward, we have been together through thick and thin for 27 years. We meet at the very least on the first Friday of every month for dinner. It used to be at the original gals house but now it rotates. We also get together for lunches, movies and short trips. Both instructors have marveled at this because they have never gelled with students like this before or after. These people are so dear to me and in many ways closer and more reliable than family. When I got married midway they met and approved of my future husband and pulled him right into the group. One of the instructors is also a Chaplain and married us.
    My usual MO when sitting around people I don't know is to keep my head down and read. I'm very introverted and will usually go to the most quiet and secluded area. So happy that in this instance the gal was persistent and kept drawing me in. I still have a problem getting a word in edgewise but I love her dearly.

After getting divorced I felt ready to start dating again but dreaded the entire idea of online dating sites. I decided to try some self-help, so I emailed this guy I knew from college but had not been in contact with since we graduated almost 30 years earlier. We had never dated but definitely flirted and I had always liked him back then so I figured what the heck. It turned out he was single and we corresponded via email for a bit and eventually decided to meet up in person. We've been dating almost two years now! Still can't believe that worked.

Thread Information