Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food on TV

Street food sounds interesting but I have often wondered how safe it is. We have inspections, cooling and temp standards for most of our local food preparation facilities of all kinds. In the hot temperatures of some countries, how is street food kept safe and free from contamination?
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

I've eaten tamales con elote sitting on a curb in Tijuana, and that never crossed my mind.

I'm of the opinion that exposure to different pathogens is helpful to the microbiome/immune system, and since people aren't dropping like flies from eating street food wherever, I'll go with that. I appreciate our food prep regulations, however.

There are pretty standard rules to follow in foreign countries. And my opinion is that it can be safer and easier to chose what to eat from street vendors than in restaurants where the kitchen is "hidden". In Thailand, they have an organization that reviews restaurants and allows them to put a logo on their signs to indicate quality standards are met.

I actually did not want to know about food prep while in India in 1991 because it was primitive. But we did not get sick and were there 33 days. But we became vegetarians when I could not identify the animal bones on my plate and ate less and less as we found out how the basic ingredients were handled.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    There are pretty standard rules to follow in foreign countries. And my opinion is that it can be safer and easier to chose what to eat from street vendors than in restaurants where the kitchen is "hidden". In Thailand, they have an organization that reviews restaurants and allows them to put a logo on their signs to indicate quality standards are met.

I actually did not want to know about food prep while in India in 1991 because it was primitive. But we did not get sick and were there 33 days. But we became vegetarians when I could not identify the animal bones on my plate and ate less and less as we found out how the basic ingredients were handled.
    Okay, that sounds downright scary!

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    I've eaten tamales con elote sitting on a curb in Tijuana, and that never crossed my mind.

I'm of the opinion that exposure to different pathogens is helpful to the microbiome/immune system, and since people aren't dropping like flies from eating street food wherever, I'll go with that. I appreciate our food prep regulations, however.
    Dropping dead from food poisoning doesn’t happen often but when you have it you sometimes wish you were dead. I can assure you that traveling overseas we’re having food poisoning it’s awful and no one wants to take that risk.

Experiencing food poisoning is awful. But when you can be exposed to E. coli just by opening a bag of raw spinach, one wonders just how far one has to go to be safe.

Actually, in all the traveling we've done, I've avoided food poisoning after eating sushi at Tokyo's old Tsukiji fish market, conch fritters from the back of a truck in Bermuda, food at hawkers' stalls in Singapore, currywurst at random Schnellimbisse in Germany, berries from farmstands across America, and corn dogs at the State Fair.

I've twice eaten raw oysters and suffered dire GI symptoms afterwards so I don't eat those any more. But either I've been really lucky or eating a lifetime of weird food from all kinds of places has inoculated me.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Experiencing food poisoning is awful. But when you can be exposed to E. coli just by opening a bag of raw spinach, one wonders just how far one has to go to be safe. ...
    That's my take on it. I did experience a brief bout of turista in Mexico City, but really--that was to be expected. And I torpedoed myself with some pork past its prime a few months ago (which was totally my fault), but all in all, I haven't had any problems with food poisoning and it's nothing I worry about.

Thread Information