Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Food on TV

Food on TV

I watch several shows on the Food Network, and I'm currently enjoying a PBS offering--No Passport Required. It's kind of a stateside version of No Reservations, with chef Marcus Samuelsson, in which he explores immigrant neighborhoods, food, and culture. So far, this season, they've featured Korean and Armenian cuisine. Talk about mouth-watering. I never get tired of learning about the foods of different countries, and I would be happy to spend my life sampling my way around the world--without the necessity of travel.

Without the necessity of travel and I would add, the preparation of each dish. One needs so many more and different ingredients than the basic NA menu requires.

That said, I am having a lot of fun exploring different balsamic vinegars from Modena. So far, my favourites are cranberry-pear and Mission fig. Black cherry is good as well. A little Saba added to lightly salted homemade tomato juice makes an amazing soup.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

My DH is currently massively into Asian street food--the kind they do literally on the street! I think the combination of complexity/simplicity fascinates him. When I went to Japan recently, he really wanted me to go on a tour of the areas of town where they make street food, but I'm not a foodie, and I don't appreciate it as much as he would.

I do enjoy Food Network shows, but more for the personalities and the contest (i.e. Top Chef, Chopped) than the cuisine. When I watch Kitchen Nightmare or Restaurant Impossible, I'm usually more interested in how they redecorate the place than how they change the menu.

From a social and cultural perspective, food is a fascinating topic, though. I can appreciate that.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    No Passport Required.
    I was very pleased to hear there would be a second season of this show. I greatly enjoyed the first season. Samuelsson gets a bit theatric for my taste, but he's an excellent chef and easily approaches the question of "what is ethnic food" in many aspects. I need to start streaming the new season.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Marcus has a very interesting biography that you might find at the library, Yes Chef: A Memoir. He also has an interesting website: https://marcussamuelsson.com/

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    Marcus has a very interesting biography that you might find at the library, Yes Chef: A Memoir. He also has an interesting website: https://marcussamuelsson.com/
    His recipes are complicated and enormous in volume. How many is he feeding?
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Quote Originally Posted by razz View Post
    His recipes are complicated and enormous in volume. How many is he feeding?
    Well, he does run several restaurants. I'd cook big complicated recipes if I had a commercial kitchen full of people behind me.

When Samuelsson was running an instance of Aquavit in Minneapolis, I got there as often as my budget would allow. I was very sad to see that restaurant close. Guess Minnesota wasn't yet ready for high-end Scandinavian-informed cuisine. (Still isn't; for as many people of Scandinavian heritage live here, restaurants featuring that cuisine can be counted on the fingers of one hand...)
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I went on his website and his stuff looks delicious!! I would savor any of the dishes on the home page of his website, and I'd definitely enjoy a Charlie Parker or Springthyme!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

I like Rick Bayless and his PBS shows on authentic Mexican cooking. I’ve sampled a couple of his recipes from his web site, but the preparations and ingredients get complicated. It’s a good visual feast to see regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I was very pleased to hear there would be a second season of this show. I greatly enjoyed the first season. Samuelsson gets a bit theatric for my taste, but he's an excellent chef and easily approaches the question of "what is ethnic food" in many aspects. I need to start streaming the new season.
    I need to binge-watch the first season. I agree with you about Samuelsson's theatricality "I LOVE THAT!" (He puts together some fab costumes, though.)
    I read his book; he has a pretty interesting backstory.
    I also like Andrew Zimmern's Delicious Destinations. Like Catherine's husband, I'd love to experience pan-Asian street food in all its glory.

Thread Information