Page 453 of 601 FirstFirst ... 353403443451452453454455463503553 ... LastLast
Results 4,521 to 4,530 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Flowers, that is too bad about your friend. What was her reason for not getting vaccinated?
    She was vaccinated. She got the vaccine starting in January. She got the Pfizer and who really knows how long each of us have good immunity. I don't think it is a specific percent applicable to all. She went into the hospital before the boosters were available. Covid was everywhere here so you could not escape it when you left the House. There was no masks no distancing anywhere here. Florida is just over 50% vaccinated and we have many people who visit and vacation because of free dumb.

From.what I have read the very large majority of those who got ill enough to get to ICU were not vaccinated and the rest were breakthroughs. She went into the hospital about a month ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I don't live in fear. I have a security system in my house covering all doors, windows and interior space around entrances, but it's never been armed when we're home. As far as Covid is concerned I'm vaccinated against Covid and the flu and shingles because it's silly not to take basic measures to protect yourself from whatever might be going around, and when out and about I wear a mask if the establishment I'm entering requires one, if they don't require it I won't. I don't feel it's my responsibility to protect others from something they can easily protect themselves against, if I did I'd probably never leave the house for fear of what could be.

If I lived in fear of Covid I'd probably not visit establishments which did not require whatever basic protective measures currently in vogue and look askance at anyone not exhibiting the same fear I felt, but that's no way to live.
    I guess we all have a different definition of what "basic measures" are when it comes to covid. From what I've read long covid does happen with breakthrough infections. Not as often as with unvaxxed people, but often enough that it is a concern for me. Bringing covid home at all is also a concern for me since I live with an overweight cancer survivor that I would really like to survive into old age because I rather enjoy his company. As such my "basic measures", in addition to being fully vaxxed and wearing masks anytime I'm indoors with people whose vax status I don't know, includes not going anywhere where covid is currently widespread. I don't feel like I'm living in fear, just being pragmatic. Like when I first moved to NYC and my block had hookers at one end and drug dealers at the other so I would take a taxi if I was coming home from a night out and it was late versus the subway and then walking 3 blocks on empty streets. Who knows, maybe I would've been fine walking from the subway. But as it is I never got mugged or had any other issue so I consider those taxi fares to have been a reasonable choice.

Condolences flowerseverywhere … it is very sad about your friend…..

I am so sorry Flowers. It’s so sad when someone dies before they should. I just got my booster today. Moderna has 3 times the medication as Pfizer. My sister got a choice in Chicago but we didn’t. It’s probably why Modena hasn’t come out with a booster.

The unfortunate thing was we have almost as many deaths per million people as NY. Of course not only did they not know how to best treat it, there was little PPE available.and no vaccines during NY peak. Here vaccines were widely available as well as Regeneron was somewhat available. Some of the early thingS they did which they found to not work they changed. We had the valuable Information which should have made our surge much smaller. But too many people did not care enough to protect their fellow citizens through vaccination and masking Inside and making money became more important than protecting people. Of course I have heard many blame it on the dirty disease riddled illegals but whether it is the Jews, Irish, narive Amerricans, Chinese or people of color it is all too convenient to have scapegoats to blame your own inadequacies on. Many Infected people travelled in by airplane, most unknowingly infected. Our state was open very early and people drove right in to enjoy spring break and crowded restaurants and bars, as well as big sporting events. . Testing still isn't that easy to get.

Of great interest is a book by Abraham Verghese called "My Country". It outlines the beginning of the Aids crisis and how as a physician he unwittingly became an expert. The prejudice against gay people and drug users as societies undesirables led to the crisis being far worse than it should have been and of course spreading into the general population. It was largely ignored. Actually all.of his books are outstanding, but his one outlines many.of the reasons our handling of the pandemic was so poor. Political, racial, religious and homophobic prejudices did nothing to alleviate much of the death and suffering through our history as well as in the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    She was vaccinated. She got the vaccine starting in January. She got the Pfizer and who really knows how long each of us have good immunity. I don't think it is a specific percent applicable to all. She went into the hospital before the boosters were available. Covid was everywhere here so you could not escape it when you left the House. There was no masks no distancing anywhere here. Florida is just over 50% vaccinated and we have many people who visit and vacation because of free dumb.

From.what I have read the very large majority of those who got ill enough to get to ICU were not vaccinated and the rest were breakthroughs. She went into the hospital about a month ago.
    i know of one other vaccinated person who died due to Covid, but he was in his 90’s and quite frail anyway.

Yppej
    The prejudice against gay people and drug users as societies undesirables led to the crisis being far worse than it should have been and of course spreading into the general population. It was largely ignored. Actually all.of his books are outstanding, but his one outlines many.of the reasons our handling of the pandemic was so poor. Political, racial, religious and homophobic prejudices did nothing to alleviate much of the death and suffering through our history as well as in the rest of the world.
    I think the AIDS epidemic largely did not spread into the general population. There was a lot of fear that it would, but by and large that did not come to pass. There were of course other demographics affected, like hemophiliacs, but most people were not infected.

Covid is quite different. The response may not have been the best, but it was not ignored. In fact it was heavily hyped in breathless stories in the media. And there was a lot of emphasis on underserved populations. I was discussing with the Health Director in my city vaccine clinics and I said I had to go elsewhere to get the shot. He said he had at that time run over 70 clinics. I said I signed up for email notifications and was only notified of one clinic in the middle of a weekday when most people work. He said the other clinics were all targeted to underserved populations and were not open to the general public. So this is maybe the mirror image of what happened with AIDS.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ugust-n1281429

another sad story of school employees who did not survive Covid. Heartbreaking.

Yppej
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...ugust-n1281429

another sad story of school employees who did not survive Covid. Heartbreaking.
    No mention of their vaccination status in the story.

In the Miami-Dade Public School outbreak 13 died, none children. They were all unvaccinated adults.

Thread Information