Page 181 of 601 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191231281 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    California hit another record today. Obviously masks aren't helping, and maybe they are even hurting.
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    L.A. county is reporting near 5k cases today (that includes backlog so average is more like 2-3k). Restaurants were opened end of May. They are planning on 15% of people to have got it by December. The number of people who got it in NYC in the peak was only 20% or so based on what we hear about antibodies. Yes if it's spread out in time it won't overwhelm hospitals. But they WANT to infect 15%, that is literally THE PLAN.
    That is INSANE. LA county is 10x SF county. We've never had anywhere near 500 cases in one day. With multiple vaccines showing lots of promise and moving steadily through the testing pipeline I will gladly wait this out at home and limited exposure to the outside world. I realize that I am incredibly fortunate to have that option.

And once schools reopen case counts everywhere they do will explode. We can't keep baseball players safe, we can't keep Louie Gohmert's staff (and possibly Bill Barr who was canoodling with him yesterday) safe (since everyone was forced to come to the office every day and not wear masks and now he has it), do we really think students are somehow magically going to be safe?

Yppej
    I saw on the news last night that due to covid economic shutdowns the number of people starving to death in the Third World is expected to double. Children will be most affected. So the privileged in First World countries have decided to protect their elderly (average age for someone who dies of covid is in their eighties) by sacrificing the younger generation elsewhere.

I was also thinking that many of those dying now would not have been alive in 1918 at the age and with the health conditions they have. Due to advances in medicine people with comorbidities are living longer, and we expect them to be able to live closer and closer to forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I do not have any respiratory issues but I can get faint and dizzy wearing a mask when it is hot and humid.
    NPR‘s fresh air show had a interview with an ESPN broadcaster who covers baseball. He said he’s worn a mask when playing games and it’s tough. He said then add in high humidity heat, in St. Louis for instance and you’re talking about a very real restriction.

Again, if we had taken this seriously from the very beginning and shut everything down for a month or two, COVID19 would be behind us, as it is in New Zealand.

Opening everything up would only result in ongoing waves of illness, potentially forever--since there's no evidence of lasting immunity--with significant deaths in all age groups. Not my idea of success.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Again, if we had taken this seriously from the very beginning and shut everything down for a month or two, COVID19 would be behind us, as it is in New Zealand.

Opening everything up would only result in ongoing waves of illness, potentially forever--since there's no evidence of lasting immunity--with significant deaths in all age groups. Not my idea of success.
    New Zealand isn’t letting in furrinurs.I would hardly think of that as being back to normal. They are also very protective of their little Kiwi paradise by not letting in plants. That is affecting their ability to hybridize effectively.

When Trump shut out Chinamen which seemed like a rational first effort to me in the atmosphere of knowing very little about this virus, hue and cry took place.Xenophic that was.

edited to make sense.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 7-30-20 at 2:08pm.

If we got it under control, we could consider normalizing at that point.

New Zealand will likely keep an eye on international infection levels, and act accordingly.

Our response has been pathetic.

More young people are dying from the virus not just the expendable old.

I’m on day 22. This is a VERY gradual recovery. I’m so glad to be home this whole time. And glad that I’ve got several months of sick time accrued. FMLA is only valuable if one has the pay to cover the time.

I’m still sleeping 12-15 hours a day and resting most of my waking hours. I decide to do one thing (ie: put the laundry in and add detergent) and then I need to sit down for a while. Unbelievable.

Hope your healing goes well Tammy!

Thread Information