Page 25 of 117 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    This was my big preparedness item as well, I bought another 3 months of TP, as well as making sure I had plenty of dish and laundry detergent on-hand. And chili sauce. You know- the pure essentials.
    I generally don't have disinfectant on hand, and I was low on isopropyl alcohol. Now my first aid supply is topped up.
    I could still use some stuff (hey--is that all the garlic I have?), so will probably make a couple more trips before I'm ready to lock myself away.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    You obviously have not been to India. See people all over with various illnesses.... quite frightening actually.
    HIV - Africa - eating monkey
    Ebola - Africa - eating bush meat
    1918 flu - pig farms brought this to the US
    Swine flu - from Mexico
    SARS, Hong Kong flu, Coronavirus - Chinese meat markets

Frugal-one, what are comparable viral pandemics that originated in India?

From the World Health Organization:

"Viruses that have caused past pandemics typically originated from animal influenza viruses."

https://www.who.int/csr/disease/swin...s/pandemic/en/

I was wondering........has the business at chinese restaurants gone down? We used to go to a local one occasionally, but have been going elsewhere. Maybe it's ignorant of us, but most of the chinese that work there don't speak English (although their food is great!), but how can we know who has traveled where in the recent past? And it appears that there can even be carriers of the virus. I feel bad, 'cause the people in this local restaurant are really hard workers. And the price is right.
    What would you do??

Well, we just lost a whole fire station out-of-service here in WA because of it.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/two...n2E8xdop8AlllM

Quote Originally Posted by CathyA View Post
    I was wondering........has the business at chinese restaurants gone down?
    Yes, fearful people often lapse into bigoted behaviour.

The Chinese restaurants as well as the Asian markets are struggling. When talking with a friend last week they were considering going to being open weekends only. She also admitted that it is mostly the Asian community not eating or shopping at Asian businesses. She is Vietnamese and her husband is Chinese. Her parents own a Chinese restaurant and her brother owns a Sushi shop.

We went to PF Chang’s for lunch Saturday and not many customers but that’s not even real Chinese food and the workers aren’t Chinese. Maybe just a coincidence but it seemed odd.

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Well, we just lost a whole fire station out-of-service here in WA because of it.

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/two...n2E8xdop8AlllM
    these type of things can really be disruptive. Each firefighter has family and other contacts they may have exposed. The economy will continue to be rattled as more flights are cancelled, people don’t take cruises or go to restaurants. The Louvre even shut down.

Social distancing, good handwashing are our best defenses. Be alert and aware everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerseverywhere View Post
    these type of things can really be disruptive. Each firefighter has family and other contacts they may have exposed.
    Just a handful of cases popping up can shut down a considerable portion of hospitals/emergency rooms/fire stations/clinics/dr's-offices in the state, alas. When we did the Ebola thing, the key was managing the emerging cases so nobody just randomly walked into a critical facility and caused it to have to shut down for decontamination or quarantine.

This of why I am so happy that Pence is telling us how to do things now, instead of us using the previous tested playbook.

I am unlikely to use my Ebola suit and do the patient monitoring/transport for this new threat, because, well, the system seems to be broken now. It was working OK until quite recently. #MAGA

Thread Information