Page 74 of 116 FirstFirst ... 2464727374757684 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The thing is I'm not sure it matters, people can stay in an urban area, but hospitals in many urban areas are becoming completely overwhelmed, yes they are better equipped to start out with, and if this was normal times and one had a health problem that might matter, but with the level of overwhelm being reached I'm not sure it does. One can go to a more rural area but hospitals there will become overwhelmed.
    Tough call. We live within one air mile of four (!) hospitals. One has pretty much become an add-on clinic for the homeless shelter that is adjacent to it because their overhead is so high they can't make it as a regular hospital. Another has been on the ropes for a while (we just don't need three full-line hospitals within a mile of each other and this one is smaller, part of a smaller care system, and not a designated trauma center).

But they're there. If there were a widespread emergency (tornado, explosion, pandemic, etc.), there are more treatment choices available close to each other than, say, where my friend's cabin is located (NW Wisconsin), where the only hospital (much smaller than the "failing" one here) is about 30-40 minutes away by car (maybe a little faster by ambulance unless the roads are icy). Whether that balances out the greater population/demand here I couldn't say. But it seems it would be easier to share services and equipment because they're so close to each other.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

One of our hospitals is converting part of the parking garage to hospital rooms.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The thing is I'm not sure it matters, people can stay in an urban area, but hospitals in many urban areas are becoming completely overwhelmed, yes they are better equipped to start out with, and if this was normal times and one had a health problem that might matter, but with the level of overwhelm being reached I'm not sure it does. One can go to a more rural area but hospitals there will become overwhelmed.
    Agreed, there is no one way to do this and no matter what anyone does, resources will be overwhelmed. The government cannot fix us. The government cannot save us. The government can only do some things to mitigate it.

I see the territoriality surrounding hospitals more as a “take care of your own “issue, like the locals in Hermann hold their fundraisers for their county hospital and sure my Hermann taxes go to support it but it’s primarily there for full-time residents of Gasconade County.There’s probably only one respirator on the premises anyway, just guessing.

I need to get sick in the hospital in St. Louis because I have chosen to live in St. Louis. And if I have to compete with the brother who is in the hospital for a gunshot wound (because this pandemic is not slowing down ghetto violence) then that was my choice, to live amount the riffraff.Thems the chances I take.

We actually live within one mile of at least nine hospitals. Big ones, VA, childrens, cancer, public, etc. They took one University housing complex and made it up for hospital employees to have safe rest places close to the hospitals.

This does not include the number of other big hospitals located in every quadrant of our city.

We have one hospital in the greater area and I don't know how many ICU beds there are. WE have 91000 people in our county, with 11 cases, and two dead total. One was infected in Florida and traveled back home, and one was a community spread infection.

The Baltimore mayor asked the gangbangers to stop shooting each other because they cannot waste the beds on them. No clue if it helped.

Odd, since shelter-at-home went into effect, we haven't had as big a problem with people shooting at each other as we usually have. *shrug* I suppose we're no different up here than anywhere else.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Two days ago there were no cases in our town. Last night's map has 1-4 people in town have it. Probably 1, maybe as many as 4. Oh joy! It isn't us, but I was feeling not safe, but not endangered, either. Fleeting feeling that was. . .

The head of the largest hospital here announced on Monday that last weekend their ER had half as many patients as normal. Apparently, in addition to keeping down the spread of covid, stay at home also prevented a bunch of car accidents and other causes of typical ER visits.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Odd, since shelter-at-home went into effect, we haven't had as big a problem with people shooting at each other as we usually have. *shrug* I suppose we're no different up here than anywhere else.
    I'm guessing they just switched to domestic violence.

Thread Information