Page 510 of 601 FirstFirst ... 10410460500508509510511512520560 ... LastLast
Results 5,091 to 5,100 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Yep.

Another development today - Oregon is planning to make their mask mandate permanent.

My own Board of Health has spewed nonsense such as "it also helps with the flu" so why not keep it forever.

It's a healthocracy - nothing else matters, but avoiding the least little risk to the most feeble person on the planet who could protect himself or herself with an N95 or KN95 mask like health care workers exposed to covid all day long do. But no, everyone must wear masks forever. Life can't have any risk at all. We should all just sit in our houses working from home and buying from home until we die alone.
    I keep telling you you just need to move to a red state and you'd be in utopia. I recently read that the recent changes to Ohio's public health laws mean that the public health authorities no longer can shut down a restaurant if they have unsafe conditions until someone actually gets sick. Paradise I tell you! Paradise! Me, I will probably stay in Commiefornia because Alan hasn't yet convinced me of the joys of freedumb food poisoning.

There are very few covid restrictions in blue states. And lots of covid of course, although there's lots of covid everywhere in the country, or will be. But there are masks in some blue states. Yep moving to a red state is the only way yeppej will ever find some peace. Sign on the freeway today said: wear an N95 mask.
    Trees don't grow on money

Need it be said that it's all deeply irrational. Oh it will last forever and ever. Yea we're all sick enough of pandemic to believe so in our darker moments. And I don't know what will happen with coronavirus in general, but it's obvious this surge is unlikely to last forever, that's not how it works, it's not how the omicron surges are working pretty much anywhere. And that's if one chose to take extra precautions during the surge. Everything is open. So it's not like one has to. But masks, yea well if you are afraid to go anywhere because of masks of all things, you are the one who is refusing to go out, the world goes on regardless.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    healthocracy = getting exercise and eating vegetables. And wow working from home that's some real cruel punishment right there, what next: why the serfs love open office plans.
    Never once have I heard a public health official say during the pandemic to get exercise or eat vegetables or do anything else to reduce risk obesity or other risk factors for covid. Instead it is we will shut down your business, you can't see your family (heaven forbid you attend a funeral if a loved one dies), you can't even work in your yard if you test positive but are confined indoors, you must wear masks including when you walk by yourself in the woods miles from other people, you must get vaccines.

The last public figure I remember truly promoting public health is Michelle Obama.

I for one prefer to work in person and there are others I know who do too. A nurse who travels to various companies said when she came out to give flu shots people working in person are doing much better mental health wise than her clients working from home, isolated, trying in some cases to supervise virtual schooling at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I recently read that the recent changes to Ohio's public health laws mean that the public health authorities no longer can shut down a restaurant if they have unsafe conditions until someone actually gets sick. Paradise I tell you! Paradise! Me, I will probably stay in Commiefornia because Alan hasn't yet convinced me of the joys of freedumb food poisoning.
    Why would I attempt to convince you of the merits of something that doesn't exist?

I've always found it interesting to see news reports which mis-state actions taken by Republican legislators or just Republicans in general. I saw reports last summer which made the same claim you did, originating I believe in the Washington Post. Their story had to do with how Republican legislators across the country were dealing with declared 'States of Emergency' regarding public health. Ohio was referenced as one state where the legislature had stripped its Governor of the ability to declare states of emergency without oversight by the legislature. This was the result of Ohio's Senate Bill 22 (the text of which can be found here) having to do with declared states of emergency and the responsibilities of Public Health Offices as well as all higher state offices including the legislature and Governor.

After a very dull and laborious reading of the text I believe reporting on the subject simply mis-characterized one of its components. That being the inability of a health department, during a declared state of emergency, to isolate someone who is not medically diagnosed with a disease or quarantine people who have not been in direct contact with someone who is medically diagnosed with a disease.

How it came to be reported as you mentioned is a mystery to me. Of course you shouldn't believe everything you read, including my comments, so I'd suggest you read the text of the bill yourself and make up your own mind about what's true and what isn't. In case you missed the link I provided above, here it is again in its entirety. sb22_05_EN (state.oh.us)
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

Yppej
    I tried Iris Lily's suggestion of going to the librarian but she was even more rigid than the Board of Health. Then I contacted the Library Trustees and one of them said he would help me but I have not heard back from him in a few days so he is probably running up against a brick wall as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Why would I attempt to convince you of the merits of something that doesn't exist?

I've always found it interesting to see news reports which mis-state actions taken by Republican legislators or just Republicans in general. I saw reports last summer which made the same claim you did, originating I believe in the Washington Post. Their story had to do with how Republican legislators across the country were dealing with declared 'States of Emergency' regarding public health. Ohio was referenced as one state where the legislature had stripped its Governor of the ability to declare states of emergency without oversight by the legislature. This was the result of Ohio's Senate Bill 22 (the text of which can be found here) having to do with declared states of emergency and the responsibilities of Public Health Offices as well as all higher state offices including the legislature and Governor.

After a very dull and laborious reading of the text I believe reporting on the subject simply mis-characterized one of its components. That being the inability of a health department, during a declared state of emergency, to isolate someone who is not medically diagnosed with a disease or quarantine people who have not been in direct contact with someone who is medically diagnosed with a disease.

How it came to be reported as you mentioned is a mystery to me. Of course you shouldn't believe everything you read, including my comments, so I'd suggest you read the text of the bill yourself and make up your own mind about what's true and what isn't. In case you missed the link I provided above, here it is again in its entirety. sb22_05_EN (state.oh.us)

WI is one of those states where republicans are doing everything they can to limit the governor’s power to issue state of emergency….especially mask wearing…. plus….

Yppej
    Spain's left wing government wants to lift restrictions and recognize that covid is endemic, treating it like the flu.

This doesn't have to be a partisan issue. We should just follow common sense and get on with our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I tried Iris Lily's suggestion of going to the librarian but she was even more rigid than the Board of Health. Then I contacted the Library Trustees and one of them said he would help me but I have not heard back from him in a few days so he is probably running up against a brick wall as well.
    librarians rigid! Well. That is too bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post

Amazing detective work. You out of thousands and hundreds of thousands and millions have read the actual text of the law. But no matter, whatever they WaPo says, goes.

Thread Information