Page 512 of 601 FirstFirst ... 12412462502510511512513514522562 ... LastLast
Results 5,111 to 5,120 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Yppej
    I am not visiting my parents. If I get the 'vid I am not worried about myself (vaxxed) or them (vaxxed and boosted) but about my dad testing positive because I have it and don't know, and then he can't have his knee surgery, already postponed because of hospital capacity issues. The problems never stop. We should have flung everything wide open a month past when everyone could get vaccinated and this would all be in the rearview mirror, but no we must drag it out into year three now. Sweden, with 1,000 fewer covid deaths per million than the US, got it right.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Well then modern journalism sucks. It sucks balls. But we know that, and that is why it’s dying. Too bad real journalists arent following the code they were taught in J school.

edited to make sense.
    People see to rely on free “quality social media” over paid for journalism these days. As they say, democracy dies in the dark.

I wish the WaPo had quoted the relevant section of the Ohio law that gave them concern. I don't care enough to read through 22 pages of the law to figure it out myself. That's a little too close to my day job... But just as in my day job every word and comma matter, the same may be the situation in Ohio. A poorly thought out sentence somewhere in the middle of that law may well defeat the power of local health authorities.

But I suppose at least Ohio hasn't put any public health director on administrative leave for having the nerve to encourage their staff to get vaccinated as happened in Orlando. Although the true shocker in that story is that the public health department there has an abysmally low vax rate. If people who should know better can't be bothered to get the vax how exactly are they going to be able to convince others. They are probably a good example of government spending that ought to just not be happening.

To be realistic most media was essentially free until maybe a couple years ago. The paywalls were easily evaded.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    To be realistic most media was essentially free until maybe a couple years ago. The paywalls were easily evaded.
    Did you know that there was a time before the internet?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

I recall a line from a movie about the Fox network where the boss said we need news that "shocks your grandmother and pisses off your grandfather." So it seems to me that a lot of "news" today is designed to cause outrage and/or fear. And it has been very effective at that. Mostly, I am bored with it all.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I recall a line from a movie about the Fox network where the boss said we need news that "shocks your grandmother and pisses off your grandfather." So it seems to me that a lot of "news" today is designed to cause outrage and/or fear. And it has been very effective at that. Mostly, I am bored with it all.
    Don't forget induce fear. The latest is stir up panic because "omicron makes little kids more sick than delta". More of them test positive - not the same as being sick.

Tufts Childrens Hospital in my state is converting pediatric beds to adult ICU beds to respond to omicron. The fact, lost in the media noise, is that unvaccinated adults are in almost every case the ones at risk of serious outcomes.

Alan, I remember having to do all our travel planning using books and phone calls. I even mailed a letter or two. Sometimes I wish for those often-simpler times since choices were limited. We are now facing the Paradox of Choice. Loved that book.

I find myself so skeptical of media that I ignore most of "popular" media. I find myself talking back to it when forced to watch it. I pick who and what I listen to as much as possible and it is not news readers.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Did you know that there was a time before the internet?
    My family's news sources were the local paper, Newsweek and/or US News and World Report, and the big three TV networks. Occasionally, Time, TV Guide, or Life. I had not ever heard of the NYT or Washington Post until Watergate, and little there after. I suppose they all had a slight lean to the left, but at the time I don't think the divide was so great. Now, people can get flooded with news if they so choose, which maybe has advantages and disadvantages. I can't even image looking up the details of a state law back in the day.

Even our big city newspaper here has shrunken to a mostly worthless account of sports and syndicated news. I browse Breitbart News very occasionally as a prime example of twisting facts into conservative propaganda. I don't think the Post or the NYT can even come close to that, but it's agreed that a person has to be careful not to take everything for face value. But I don't think they have quite devolved into a pit of poor journalism.

I've seen charts rating mainstream news as left or right and also for quality reporting. The WSJ seems to rank a little to the right and high quality, but it's expensive. USA today is pretty much generic oatmeal. I read NPR news on line and they rate pretty highly in my book and not exactly free considering they are publicly funded. They try to be unbiased, but still rate to the left. I'm not so sure there is a perfect news source out there.

I finally personally know 3 people who have gotten Covid. One was unvaccinated and died. One is unvaccinated (pregnant) and is currently on a ventilator but will probably die soon. The last one got the first 2 shots but no booster and is currently at home with mild cold like symptoms. My husband and I are fully vaccinated and boosted. My two sons are vaccinated but not boosted.

Thread Information