Page 40 of 117 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    A priest in Washington DC gave communion to 500 people and has tested positive for coronavirus. So church may not be the place to go.

The thing is I've already been seeing colds last 2 weeks around here, wondering: "what is wrong with these people, why don't they get better already, whoever heard of a cold lasting more than like a week?" Might not be corona but ...
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I rarely get over a cold in a week. First is the sore throat, then the congestion and runny nose, then the coughing. Three or more weeks is typical for me.

To add, I've read that the timeline from contracting the virus to showing symptoms is typically 5-6 days, in case you've been out-n-about and now wondering.

ANM: There is the cold and there is the flu. I always feel a cold lasts a week. The flu much longer at least with the cough and lack of energy. Throw in bronchitis, which is an issue I have with asthma, and three weeks or more is possible.

The other thing Iíve read, though, is that covid19 doesnít typically present like a regular cold. The infection is deeper in the lungs so typically itís all cough and fever, not so much a sore throat, runny nose etc. that said, enough people whoíve tested positive for the coronavirus have had nose-ish symptoms to make it uncertain what you have if you are presenting with more typical cold/flu symptoms.

Basically, the symptom/diagnostic information changes every day (or hour), so pretty much don't waste your time on the Internet for now, and just be prudent.

Speaking as my County's sorta-semi-official Epidemiologist, and consulting constantly with The Real Deal people at the state and federal levels.

(It should chill your bones that a retired statistician who specializes in high energy physics, and communications network modelling, has been drafted, btw... They handed me a textbook last week and said "have at it!". I would have expected Better Of Our Nation. This is like a bad Contagion movie.)

While I am getting depressed and scared over this whole mess, and extremely stressed about whether to cancel an upcoming flight to visit my grandson on his birthday, I am glad they picked you and very grateful, Bae.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Basically, the symptom/diagnostic information changes every day (or hour), so pretty much don't waste your time on the Internet for now, and just be prudent.

Speaking as my County's sorta-semi-official Epidemiologist, and consulting constantly with The Real Deal people at the state and federal levels.

(It should chill your bones that a retired statistician who specializes in high energy physics, and communications network modelling, has been drafted, btw... They handed me a textbook last week and said "have at it!". I would have expected Better Of Our Nation. This is like a bad Contagion movie.)
    Actually, you make perfect sense as the candidate for the role - statistics, analytical, communication and familiarity with the neighbourhood's environment including access to care - all essential components of accurate reporting. The assessment and diagnosis is part of the medical community's responsibility. Sounds like your community has it all under control.
    Gandhi: Happiness is when what you think, what you say and what you do are in harmony .

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    The thing is I've already been seeing colds last 2 weeks around here, wondering: "what is wrong with these people, why don't they get better already, whoever heard of a cold lasting more than like a week?" Might not be corona but ...
    I don't seem to get over things very quickly any more. I was sick for all of January and most of February slight temperature, productive cough, tired, etc. First a course of antibiotic and then steroids before I finally started feeling better. Whatever it was seemed to settle in my lungs, so I'm a bit nervous about the virus. We'll see. Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi

Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. - Dalai Lama

Thread Information