Page 6 of 601 FirstFirst ... 456781656106506 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

People never fail to disappoint me.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    Even here in my most progressive little corner of the world, I'm seeing this incident cause all sorts of ugly racism and stereotypes to pop up:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/opini...ang/index.html
    Of the two linked articles about Chinese scientists, the first one is unavailable. I am interested in widespread “purging” of U.S. citizen-scientists from university teaching rosters. Too bad that article is absent. Chinese undergrads and grad students are a backbone of Agriculture programs all over the country, so I find it hard to believe place like ISU AG will give up that lucrative Yen fueled tuition.

The second article, a summary type piece, gives no information about what led to Xin Zhao’s investigation and charges. Entirely race based? That is preposterous.

The rest of this CNN article is a history lesson or anecdotes.

As for contemporary narrative, my sister in law called this morning. She is recently back from
    China. She said they took her temperature and that of her husband before they could board the plane home to the U.S.

Our latest state-level guidance:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Emergencies/C...irus/Resources

Of note for me is the new prehospital contact/transport guidance, which basically has us implement SARS/MERS protocols, which is not quite the full Ebola suit, thank goodness:

https://www.doh.wa.gov/Portals/1/Doc...S2019-nCoV.pdf

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    People never fail to disappoint me.
    Same here. Rob

Jane and Rob, your expectations are clearly too high. People often surprise me pleasantly.

I'm on the regional infectious disease control team. ...

It is fascinating to watch the political posturing, media fluffery, anti-science mobs, and conspiracy nuts develop during the situation.
    Thank you for taking us behind the scenes. I tend to think hard about "media fluffery" before getting overly concerned.

But last night, I heard Anthony Fauci on PBS ("I think you have to be realistic and say, it is possible that it could turn into a global pandemic"). I've begun taking this more seriously.

Here is the transcript and video of the segment with Fauci:

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/wh...-u-s-officials

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Jane and Rob, your expectations are clearly too high. People often surprise me pleasantly.
    I fully agree, CL!

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    So, do you know what antibiotics do?

How well do they work on viruses?

Show your sources...

I might also recommend looking into the FEMA structure marking protocols, and make sure your neighbors understand them...
    The whole point of these herbs is to boost immunity in the first place, in an affordable way. And I'm already finding that oil of oregano gives me more energy. Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    It may be an excuse, but many times people will come down with a bacterial infection on top of viral infection, so I'm not sure I would disagree with having antibiotics on hand, or if the doctor hit a questionable mystery illness with antibiotics after someone had been battling a virus less than successfully.

The bacterial is the secondary infection, obviously. My husband just had a viral bronchitis for 8 weeks and finally went to the doctor and he cleared his lungs with 5 days on an antibiotic. I don;t think he over-prescribed. But I'm not a doctor, and actually, try to stay away from doctors.
    Not sure how or if this applies, but I am going BACK to the dr in 45 minutes. I first went exactly 1 month ago today with congestion, a "producing" cough that wouldn't quit,- but no chest pain like when I've had bronchitis - and low grade temp. That visit got me 10 days of Amoxicillan (told dr that doesn't work on me - but what do I know about my own body?!?!?!) In the following month, "producing" cough never completely went away, but started feeling better.

Woke up this morning with increased cough and now chest pain while coughing. NOT waiting for symptoms to get worse, but am wondering what the treatment will be this time.

If I end up on more/stronger antibiotics, I do/will consider it over-prescribing simply because they didn't prescribe correctly in the first place.

Sigh... a month is too long. I'm tired of feeling like crap. (Sorry for the whining.)
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

In my brief searches for updates, there is an incredible amount of misinformation and conspiracy theory floating around in social media. One of my concerns, which might border line some of these, is that we seem to live in an age of disinformation. Thinking of hurricane Dorian as an example, I have a low level of trust of our current administration to be forthcoming with accurate and honest information. He's pretty much of a science moron and may want to protect wall street. So that's my conspiracy theory.

Thread Information