Page 52 of 601 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102152552 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies
    Steve, I absolutely agree that any attempt to ration products on the shelves in the grocery store is ridiculous. I am actually happy that people are running around today to the grocery store and the drugstore getting appropriate supplies. A friend stopped by to visit this morning and he said our grocery store has no bread no chicken on the shelves. I went to a nearby grocery store later that had everything on the shelves, so supplies depend on the store.
    I actually agree with stores limiting the purchase of products at some reasonable quantity. They do it for "doorbusters" on Black Fridays. During regular sales, they make you buy one item at its regular price before you get the next one half-off. (Want four items? Fine, but two are regular price.) Stores can establish the terms under which customers do business with them.

So stores can limit the quantity of high-demand items purchased, letting more customers have a chance to buy them. I wish stores didn't have to limit product purchases, but apparently there are enough people out there whose better natures do not tend toward fairness that the rules get imposed (the stores also have a self-interest in keeping more customers happy, too). That's their bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The irony to me is that going to crowded places with lots of people is a bad idea. So what are all these people doing? Going to buy food and toilet paper at crowded places with lots of people.
    DW has been involved in administering her county's plan for pandemics in her department. Among the very first rules is to not rush to the local big-box store or supermarket since so many other people will be there buying stuff, increasing their exposure to the very illness everyone is trying to avoid.

When I picked up my items on Friday, I purposely went at off-hours and avoided bigger stores, partly to improve social distance and partly because news and social-media posts documented the runs on lots of food items (and the long lines of people and carts right up next to each other). I had no problem moving around the stores and getting almost all I wanted. If I get stir-crazy in the house over the next few days, though, I can think of a couple of stores near here that might still have some. It would be an interesting bet to place (since I don't have to win it).
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Yppej
    I would rather purchase limits than price gouging. My supermarket has kept some water in stock by increasing the price 50%.

Can someone here give me insight as to why people are buying tons of bottled water?

There isn't a lot of reason to think tap water won't work. However maybe some just got to thinking about emergencies in general and were like "I don't have water for an earthquake! AHHH!". Even though an earthquake (hurricane, tornado) in most places is not the present crisis.

I admit I did a little panic buying Friday (and before then stocked up for a few weeks prior, but more panic on Friday - succumbing to it - empty shelves messes with one's head). I went to less crowded places including the most expensive grocery in town, but honestly since panic set in there are no "off hours" if you work. Friday late at night used to be one but it's all anyone wants to do anymore is grocery shop (of course it's all one is allowed to do pretty much). Even though the virus might last awhile, I don't think the panic shopping will continue that much longer though unless it becomes completely self-reinforcing.

Now if I was just shopping for me, going forward I wouldn't shop more than once a week, to limit being out and about. But I said I'd shop for my mom so it may end up being be more (well my risk is less than hers).
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Last week a national quilter held two lectures in Ocala, Fl. An acquaintance who went said the SRO crowd of 500+ women were jammed in each day. She laughed telling me how funny the lecturer was, saying not to spit on or lick anybody. Ha ha. She accused several of us as being alarmists and repeating “fake news” because it’s just the flu.
    A neighbor went to church where only about 400 of the usual 1200 people attended the 4pm Saturday service. She said the church must be losing so much money. Seriously that is what worries you.

Since China quarantined Hunan I did not understand why people didn’t realize what was coming. Disease does not respect race, political party, religion etc. it spreads and runs its course. We have too much air travel to contain it.

Here in Florida I fear the worst. Many who watch Fox News all day who dismissed any idea this could be a problem because it was a hoax to take Trump down. A state where floating Petri dish cruise ships dock in multiple ports and disembark , theme parks are packed with many thousands daily, and lots of old people with medical issues.

Yppej
    IL, some of us have nasty tasting tap water, or unsafe water. Think Flint, Michigan.

Hay House is offering a free viewing of the docuseries Radical Remission; I just got an email inviting me to watch it. There is a trailer here and a place to sign up, if anyone is interested:

https://www.discover.hayhouse.com/radicalremission/

I think I am going to check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    I think most people are doing the best they can in a really disorienting situation. We were just at the grocery and all the milk was gone, in our largest grocery in town. All the toilet paper was gone yesterday and today in three stores. There were limits on items that were no longer available, anyway. All the flour was gone. So people are trying their best to think of how to feed their families for a month if all the stores close as quickly and unexpectedly as the schools and the library and my husband's doctor did.

A lot of these survival skills have been forgotten, or no longer taught, like do I buy canned milk so that I can bake? etc.

As to ammo, I'm not prepared to shoot someone over my supplies so I'm not going there. But I know my neighbors have guns and would use them on someone who came to take their supplies. They are mostly ex-military and have a "don't mess with me" attitude. To each his own.

As to people who got sick unexpectedly with a disease they had never heard of--well my heart goes out to them. What a terrible thing, and I wish we would minimize some of the inevitable scapegoating that is starting to happen. The first case in Maine was id'ed as a middle aged woman who had recently traveled abroad. Class privilege etc. comes to mind. Turns out she was a Navy reservist on Navy manuevers.

I say we stop blaming them and work on keeping as many folks safe as possible and try to remember that they are doing the best they can, even if it in hindsight is clear to us that they did something that they should not have.

And calling people stupid because they want to buy toilet paper--well, I'd rather stop judging and try to keep a helpful, positive mindset.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    The irony to me is that going to crowded places with lots of people is a bad idea. So what are all these people doing? Going to buy food and toilet paper at crowded places with lots of people.
    This has been my thought for the last 2-3 weeks.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Our governor announced that virtually all the major ski resorts would be shut down for at least a week. Best I can tell from the news, the hotels and other amenities that are still open would be ok, but all the ski lift operations would shut down. It's near the end of the season for many anyway, but others often stay open for as long as there is snow.

I picked up tax returns from my CPA a couple of days ago and before I knew it I was shaking the guy's hand. It's a hard habit to break.

Thread Information