Page 61 of 601 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161561 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Love that Steve.

It is interesting that the UK which had been taking pretty much a “let it spread” position* has now changed abruptly.

If you haven’t been following how world governments are addressing the spread of the coronavirus, it’s pretty interesting.

*”Let it Spread” is my simplistic catch phrase, And of course the UK’s policy is far more nuanced and complex.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...gy-has-changed

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    *”Let it Spread” is my simplistic catch phrase, And of course the UK’s policy is far more nuanced and complex.
    I think it is more properly "Let it Spread, kill off all the old people so the NHS budget will look better moving forward".

My daughter, who lives in a fortified Roman city in the UK, is packing her bags today to move out to a fortified Roman country villa for the duration.

Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
    I think it is more properly "Let it Spread, kill off all the old people so the NHS budget will look better moving forward".

My daughter, who lives in a fortified Roman city in the UK, is packing her bags today to move out to a fortified Roman country villa for the duration.
    This hints at the many opportunities for black humor in this environment, but I honestly think the SL forums have too many people easily upset by anything resembling humor ( or a small number who are disproportionally vocal) about our National situation that I am restraining myself here, somewhat.

Mustn’t fuss people unnecessarily. Also the people who are literal thinkers, black and white thinkers seem to have trouble with irony.

There are some threads on the Mr. Money Mustache website picking up the humor vein, tho.That is a younger, male-dominated crowd so there’s going to be more black humor over there.

Bae, I have to say You are probably right about your apprehension about outsiders fleeing to your remote island.

My favorite hate read, an Instagram queen, pulled up her family from Seattle to flee to Mount Shasta, CA, population 3000. Because Mt Shasta has so many resources, ya know? Eyeroll. So she and the family took a leisurely drive from Seattle through Portland stopped in Portland, spread epicenter Seattle germs, drove down through southern Oregon spreading germs into Northern California.

This is someone who is a stay at home mom. Her husband can work remotely. They are not in a risk group, they have small children and they themselves are in their 30s. There is no reason for them to move to the hinterlands.

Now they are sequestered in an Airbnb house in the woods. And her Instagram broadcast she actually seems a little crazy so I wonder what’s going on in her head.
    Last edited by iris lilies; 3-18-20 at 4:28pm.

We made the decision to go through with our vacation to Hawaii this week because last week that seemed a reasonable decision. And because SO’s mom, for whom this trip is her Christmas gift absolutely wanted to do it. If our plans had been a week later we would have likely cancelled. Now we sit here in our room eating breakfast because the hotel restaurant closed it’s dining room at the governor’s request. My sister asked how I would feel if we get stuck here. I have my work computer and phone with me so we could stay and there’s a lovely beach 300 feet from here but honestly I hope we can get home Saturday. And I hope my MIL and SO’s sister get home safely. I worry, probably excessively, since they have to change planes in Seattle. But MIL IS 87. She’s definitely a candidate for a serious case of it if she gets sick.

Regarding humor, there certainly is plenty of humor to be had. SO seems to have focused on the toilet paper part of it. A week ago he posted a comment on Facebook that the grocery store had a TP substitute still available, with a picture of a box of Imodium. And then Monday he took a picture of himself next to a display of cabbage on sale at Safeway and posted it with the caption ‘Safeway has stocked up on organic toilet paper.’

There are starting to be reports that though the numbers are lower, the virus may not be as benign to young people and kids as previously thought. DD is now worried about her nonprofit job. Every day brings a new worry. I am outside today planting peas hoping that staying off the internet most of the day will help with anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    We made the decision to go through with our vacation to Hawaii.’
    Did it seem to you that the count of Asian tourists was down from normal levels? It could be that you timed your Hawaii vacation extremely well, in terms of uncrowded beaches.

Be well, e maika'i

There seem to be almost no Asian tourists. Very different from previous visits.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    There seem to be almost no Asian tourists. Very different from previous visits.
    I have an off-topic question.

If you’re an Asian tourist, why would you go all the way to Hawaii when there are lots of beaches and tropical places in your own part of the world? I mean, is it really that great. Is it marketing that gets them there?

I say this as someone who obviously has not been to Hawaii and doesn’t especially care about tropical paradises, So they all kind of blend in together to me.

Thread Information