Page 232 of 601 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282332 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

We don't seem to be protecting our "vulnerable" very well, do we?

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Neither did Sweden! That's why I don't care if someone somewhere is something (perhaps the janitor) in a healthcare facility, they are spewing ideology (and truthfully propaganda) when they praise Sweden's approach for protecting the vulnerable. Because there IS NO such approach. Sweden failed to protect the vulnerable. Unless we start calling idle hopes approaches, yes Trump had "idle hopes" to improve the healthcare system, he had zero actual plans. Sweden had "idle hopes" to protect the vulnerable. So unless one knows of any plans Sweden has since adopted that successfully protect the vulnerable (hey actual news I'll listen to), it doesn't even speak of anyone's expertise when they start talking of this, it only speaks of how deeply they have fallen for right wing propaganda.

Meanwhile we keep reifying how people are disposable at a certain age (just for clarity I am not talking end of life issues, those are indeed difficult, I'm talking pandemic) or if they weight too much or whatever again and again and again when this nonsense is spewed, as if it made for a good society. Ugh I wish I didn't have to share a society with people who believe that!
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Part of the problem is many of the vulnerable do not follow advisories and stay home. They get restless and go recreational shopping, out to eat in restaurants, host card parties, attend family gatherings, etc. You watch we will have a bunch of outbreaks after Thanksgiving and Christmas because government cannot really police family holiday gatherings in a free society, only in a police state. And for weeks I have seen stories planted in the news by airlines about how good air is on planes because they want the holiday travel business. Even if the air were perfect it is a bad idea to fly from one part of the country or world to another carrying pathogens in people's lungs.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Part of the problem is many of the vulnerable do not follow advisories and stay home.
    This is perhaps the most extreme version of ‘blame the victim’ I’ve ever seen.

I’m going to grudgingly have to sort of agree with Yppej here. Among the various circles I belong to (church, diving, etc.), there are plenty of people who say their vulnerable relatives will NOT stay home. Or those who live with the very vulnerable will not stay home. 20-somethings with respiratory issues who are gathering with friends multiple times a week. Elderly folks with all sorts of health conditions who meet in each other’s homes a lot. They keep going out shopping, refusing all offers of help. Hour long wanders through Walmart or Target, not quick trips.

Here the private gatherings seem to be the source of a lot of spread.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I’m going to grudgingly have to sort of agree with Yppej here. Among the various circles I belong to (church, diving, etc.), there are plenty of people who say their vulnerable relatives will NOT stay home. Or those who live with the very vulnerable will not stay home. 20-somethings with respiratory issues who are gathering with friends multiple times a week. Elderly folks with all sorts of health conditions who meet in each other’s homes a lot. They keep going out shopping, refusing all offers of help. Hour long wanders through Walmart or Target, not quick trips.

Here the private gatherings seem to be the source of a lot of spread.
    It would certainly help if our feckless leadership weren't loudly spreading mixed messages. They're really not even mixed, at this point.

It would certainly help if our feckless leadership weren't loudly spreading mixed messages. They're really not even mixed, at this point.
    I’m in IL, a Dem stronghold. The gov and the public health authorities are pretty much screaming at people to stay home. Private gatherings limited to 6 people max. People are doing what they want to do, unless you want people to report on their neighbors and get the police involved. If people won’t listen to their relatives pleading with them to stay home, they’re pretty much a lost cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    I’m in IL, a Dem stronghold. The gov and the public health authorities are pretty much screaming at people to stay home. Private gatherings limited to 6 people max. People are doing what they want to do, unless you want people to report on their neighbors and get the police involved. If people won’t listen to their relatives pleading with them to stay home, they’re pretty much a lost cause.
    Agreed. The governor can’t make private individuals curb their behavior. The only power he has is to control dining and entertainment gathering places. So the small restaurant owners are pretty much dying.

As an aside, it was interesting to me to see two physicians I know traveling. On airplanes. To other states. Maybe those states were taking immigrant vacationers? These were pleasure trips. I don’t know I didn’t research it that closely but let’s just say I went hmmmmm.

But laws! more laws! stronger laws! Yeah that’s the ticket, not.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Agreed. The governor can’t make private individuals curb their behavior. The only power he has is to control dining and entertainment gathering places. So the small restaurant owners are pretty much dying.

As an aside, it was interesting to me to see two physicians I know traveling. On airplanes. To other states. Maybe those states were taking immigrant vacationers? These were pleasure trips. I don’t know I didn’t research it that closely but let’s just say I went hmmmmm.

But laws! more laws! stronger laws! Yeah that’s the ticket, not.
    In some instances, YES!

One thing about circles - you should only be part of one circle. If you are part of several circles, and others do the same, then no circle is that safe.

Thread Information