Page 459 of 601 FirstFirst ... 359409449457458459460461469509559 ... LastLast
Results 4,581 to 4,590 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

I tend to think that media in general is the cause of all the mixed messages.

Quote Originally Posted by pinkytoe View Post
    I tend to think that media in general is the cause of all the mixed messages.
    Here is interesting information from two sources: I'm not going anti-vaxxer on the basis of these articles, but I like to read both sides...

From Yahoo on why high vaccination rate states are experiencing big spikes (like Vermont). https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-covid...204548703.html

And from one of the people I really like to read, Charles Eisenstein, who it seems is an anti-vaxxer. Just another POV, FWIW. He is a very lucid writer on most topics. Here, he speaks with an anti-pharma bias but still interesting. https://charleseisenstein.substack.c...nts-of-refusal
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    And the CDC finally admits herd immunity won't work:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...d=winp1taskbar

Now how many months will it take until my Board of Health accepts this reality? Or will they never, and want us to wear masks forever (my guess)?
    Yppej, Thankyou for posting the link to the LA Times article by Melissa Healy. I gather from the article that a CDC advisory panel had a discussion about the usefulness of "herd immunity" as a goal. As Dr Jones argued, it may not be achievable that throughout the United States there would be NO MORE transmission of COVID once a threshold of vaccination, such as 75% or 80%, is reached.

I think the goal of "community immunity" would be more useful. Clearly (for a time) a specific community can go for weeks without a COVID death, or a COVID hospitalization, or even one new positive test... but this would not constitute "herd immunity" uniformly from sea to shining sea. Are people in northern Vermont members of the same herd as the folks in Ft Lauderdale FL, or Detroit MI, or where-ever?

There is uncertainty due to new COVID variants, such as Delta. The fact of "breakthrough" infections in people who have been vaccinated suggests that immunity is waning.

Last I saw, about 59% of Americans are fully vaccinated.

This virus is going to stick with us for a long, long time. - Ali Mokdad, Professor of Health Metrics, University of Washington (quoted in an article written by Carla Johnson for AP 11/11/2021)

From Yahoo on why high vaccination rate states are experiencing big spikes (like Vermont). https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-covid...204548703.html
    but I'm not sure what it means, but hey here's the media with another panic article that won't explain it either (but made you click!). I mean it could be breakthrough infections, but it could be that more than 72% vaccination isn't actually a very high vaccination rate (but, but, it's "relatively" high - oh I see nature grades on a curve does it). I mean was anyone ever saying 70 something % would be enough.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    but I'm not sure what it means, but hey here's the media with another panic article that won't explain it either (but made you click!). I mean it could be breakthrough infections, but it could be that more than 72% vaccination isn't actually a very high vaccination rate (but, but, it's "relatively" high - oh I see nature grades on a curve does it). I mean was anyone ever saying 70 something % would be enough.
    I think 70% got in people's minds because Biden wanted 70% of eligible people (adults) to have one dose by the Fourth of July. Then in came 80%, and now 80% isn't stopping infections.

Even if a person suffers a break-through infection, they're less likely to spread it if their droplets are contained by a mask--even less if their potential contact is also wearing one.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Even if a person suffers a break-through infection, they're less likely to spread it if their droplets are contained by a mask--even less if their potential contact is also wearing one.
    Minimally less likely if it is any random face cloth covering. I recommended to my Board of Health that they use ARPA funds to buy hazmat suits for the nervous and let the rest of us go about our lives normally.

A coworker of mine was allowed into the hospital against protocols in spring 2020 to see his mother dying of covid but given a hazmat suit to wear. Despite having recently had chemo he did not catch covid. If you want something that really works, the hazmat suit is the way to go, and now that winter is coming it won't be so burdensome to wear one.

Yppej
    I have started the process of looking for another town to live in where I can be free. This likely will not happen for a few years, due to a variety of factors (crazy housing market, DS still at home and any change is difficult for him, want to stay near parents so long as they are living in their home) but if things change unexpectedly I want to have my research done and be ready to move sooner rather than later.

So far I have ruled two towns out because they make you wear masks in the library although their websites don't say this. The search continues.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Agree.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    Here is interesting information from two sources: I'm not going anti-vaxxer on the basis of these articles, but I like to read both sides...

And from one of the people I really like to read, Charles Eisenstein, who it seems is an anti-vaxxer. Just another POV, FWIW. He is a very lucid writer on most topics. Here, he speaks with an anti-pharma bias but still interesting. https://charleseisenstein.substack.c...nts-of-refusal
    Interesting second article Catherine. I have seen a lot of groupthink in the pandemic, and not a lot of critical thought.

Thread Information