Page 176 of 601 FirstFirst ... 76126166174175176177178186226276 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,760 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

If we'd gone to herd immunity faster we'd have a million dead and have overwhelmed the hospitals. Judge for yourself what to think of advocates of that. Of course, since that's likely eventually anyway with out leadership, some just want to hurry up and get the genocide over with already, so at least we can return to shopping at the mall. The issue is less that herd immunity is impossible, probably not but it's uncertain, but the deaths to get there could be staggering, and then the disabilities.

oh and it's more than a little ironic that these advocates of herd immunity don't even live in hotspots, but places where the virus seems to be under control for now. But I doubt a move to FL right now sounds that appealing even being how much they claim to love mass sickness.
    Last edited by ApatheticNoMore; 7-19-20 at 2:33pm.
    Trees don't grow on money

IMO, if we'd have had good leadership from the beginning, we could have starved it into oblivion, which seems to me a much more effective solution than the elusive herd immunity. Now we're stuck with it, complete with an administration pushing for universal classroom attendance.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    A friend occasionally recommends the "This Week in Virology" podcast. One of the most recent featured an interview with Fauci. Often the podcast is over my head, but this one is very understandable. He discusses things like herd immunity, vaccine progress, what we know about modes of transmission, etc. Highly recommended. https://www.microbe.tv/twiv/twiv-641/
    I watched this even though some of it was over my head. Thanks for posting.

I understand pulling back from the covid news cycle. It’s overwhelming on a good day.

I’m on day 10-11 depending on how I interpret early symptoms. I continue with extreme fatigue. Less pain today. Occasional dry cough and I’m watching my breathing closely. So far ok. It’s scary.

Husband is recovering faster than I am.

You probably won't have long-time immunity even if you contract COVID19, so how meaningful is "herd immunity?" There are reports of people being infected repeatedly.

Yppej
    It is possible that reinfections will be less severe than initial infections. We don't know yet.

It's possible the reinfections will be more severe than the initial infections. Why? Already damaged organs. We don't know yet.

Although from what I've read the lack of all immunity seems less likely than that there will be some immunity. The problem is the death and disability total to get there regardless.

Us population: 329,968,629 confirmed cases 3,736,213, deaths 140,255. So let's round that up 1.2 % of the population infected. Let's say it's really more than double that, 3% due to lack of testing, to get to 70% you need 23 times more infected. Over 3 million deaths. Look one could say maybe 5% have been infected, then it's "ONLY" a bit shy of 2 million deaths. If I made a math error have at it, this was a quick post from quickly pulled population stats.

I don't regard claims of over 5% infected credible. I do know some argue it would take less than 70% for immunity, that's possible, we don't know yet. But be honest about the numbers we are risking, 2, 3 million deaths. Okily dokily?
    Trees don't grow on money

I got an online invitation for a friend's "Backyard Birthday Bash" next weekend with "Food, Music and Fun!" I don't think so!

Using the common cold as a corona virus stand in, it seems entirely possible that people could be reinfected repeatedly.

Yppej
    I looked at graphs today of covid deaths in Utah and South Dakota, two states that did not impose restrictions. There are no big spikes. I think letting people use common sense and go places at their own risk is a good approach vs shutting things down, creating huge pent up demand, then when things reopen you have a surge.

Thread Information