Page 223 of 601 FirstFirst ... 123173213221222223224225233273323 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,230 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    Jeppy I wonder what you have to say about the following anecdotal observation:

In my immediate neighborhood I see many good Doobies out exercising around our park. Many of them wear masks while walking their dogs, jogging, walking around the park which is a common 1 mile track.

Also while out and about and doing my 1 mile track, I see many discarded face masks on the ground. Yesterday I counted four. Why is it that the good Doobies are unable to use a trash receptacle. Notice, no question mark at the end of that last sentence because yes, it’s a statement that I think they’re little pigs.

Under normal circumstances, in non-Covid times, I would bend over and pick up those four masks and carry them to the trash bin. But not now of course, I’m not gonna trust touching the discarded masks of the goody two shoes who are wearing them while outside. What pigs they are.
    A coworker sent out an annoyed email because someone left a used mask on his desk. I also see them in parking lots. My state has a mask mandate so our discarders may not be health conscious "good doobies" but people wearing masks under fear of being fined. I would not want to touch these masks either. They join dog poop and heroin needles in a nasty trio.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    I read that 40% of those in the USA have some sort of designation that places them in the high risk category. It’s not just the old folks.
    36.5% of American adults are obese, so it doesn't take a lot of other conditions to get to 40%. And 7 months into the pandemic and not a peep from our public health officials about losing weight to fight the virus's lethality. You can lose a significant amount of weight in 7 months. But the food industry benefits from the current system, and selling treatments benefits the pharmaceutical industry.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    This came through in my email via MedPage.. I didn't know about Great Barrington v John Snow proposals for dealing with the balance of infection risk v economic impact risk. It's an interesting opinion piece. Apparently there are two petitions supporting each approach and the op ed author is arguing that this is not an issue that should be put to a vote.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/v...ly_News_Update
    An interesting read. Thank you.

36.5% of American adults are obese, so it doesn't take a lot of other conditions to get to 40%. And 7 months into the pandemic and not a peep from our public health officials about losing weight to fight the virus's lethality. You can lose a significant amount of weight in 7 months.
    what would be the point? Though some people manage to lose weight through this or that diet or exercise or whatever of course, there is no successful intervention that works on a large scale. Diets don't work long term on average, weight loss programs don't work long term on average.

It's just an excuse to hate on overweight people. When we aren't hating on people who have committed the great crime (through not fault of their own) of having to many birthdays!

I wish there were treatments, other than Remdesevir which is a profit center but doesn't increase survival, and a decades old steroid that does increase survival but seems not likely to be a profit center, there aren't. Oh there are treatments given to Trump even if he's both old and fat and noone's definition of healthy, and refuses masks, and holds covid spreading rallies, but we can't get those. An ounce of cure is worth a pound of prevention but only if you are the President.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    what would be the point? Though some people manage to lose weight through this or that diet or exercise or whatever of course, there is no successful intervention that works on a large scale. Diets don't work long term on average, weight loss programs don't work long term on average.

It's just an excuse to hate on overweight people. When we aren't hating on people who have committed the great crime (through not fault of their own) of having to many birthdays!
    You took the words right out of my mind.
    If losing weight were even close to being easy, there would be few fat people.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Maybe we shouldn't encourage people to stop smoking either. After all quitting is hard. No one should have to do anything hard. Instead when they make bad decisions the government, other ratepayers in their insurance plan, or their employer who provides health insurance can pick up the tab for their lung cancer, emphysema, heart disease, or even covid. Vaping dramatically increases covid risk.

True. 95% of those lose weight gain it back within about a year, and often with a few additional pounds.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Maybe we should shut down drug rehab programs. Do you know how many people relapse? Most of them relapse at some point. Lots of them relapse again and again. Why should people try to do something hard like quit? That doesn't fit in with our entitlement society.

It’s actually shown that a focus on weight loss causes people to gain weight. It’s counterproductive.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammy View Post
    It’s actually shown that a focus on weight loss causes people to gain weight. It’s counterproductive.
    This defeatist mindset is why obesity gets worse every year.

Thread Information