Page 152 of 601 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast
Results 1,511 to 1,520 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    In states like mine where masks are mandated, why are there still senior hours at stores? If the masks are so great senior hours, which predated the mask mandate, should no longer be necessary.
    Time for you to go sit in a room with a COVID + patient for 8 hours. No PPE.

You just keep topping yourself with dumb and dumber........

if cigarettes cause lung cancer why are there people who never smoked who get lung cancer? *takes another puff and inhales deeply and coughs a little* . This cigarettes cause lung cancer stuff is a bunch of nonsense ...

because masks aren't perfect, we should have the government manufacturer the best masks possible for all at this point (not doable at the start but hello we are OVER 3 MONTHS IN), but we live in a banana republic without bananas and so we don't, and they still wouldn't be perfect, and even if they were there would be the little matter of human error.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    In states like mine where masks are mandated, why are there still senior hours at stores? If the masks are so great senior hours, which predated the mask mandate, should no longer be necessary.
    I’m so glad you asked. That exact question was asked at Trader Joe’s when I was there today. The answer? “So the polite seniors, following the rules, who don’t move as fast and cut in front of others, don’t get mowed down. We’re maintains a safe shopping environment.”

Nothing to plan for... vacations cancelled, all festivals, fairs, sporting events cancelled. Concerts, performances, shows of all kinds, cancelled. Hair and dentist appointments cancelled. Grocery shopping is the highlight twice a month. It does make one wonder...

and I was shocked today to learn a good friend, a fabulous singer- songwriter-musician and wonderful carpenter, passed away yesterday. A couple of days ago he told his wife his purpose on earth, to make people happy with live music, was done. She told him that was kind of melodramatic. Sunday morning he was gone. Just went to sleep Saturday night and didn’t wake up.

This is the 7th time since the first of the year that I’ve heard this story- people who appear to be totally healthy, in their 60s, go to sleep and just don’t wake up. Thousands of people are checking out with the virus, and many without the virus.
    Last edited by mschrisgo2; 6-30-20 at 1:25am. Reason: Clarity

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by mschrisgo2 View Post
    I’m so glad you asked. That exact question was asked at Trader Joe’s when I was there today. The answer? “So the polite seniors, following the rules, who don’t move as fast and cut in front of others, don’t get mowed down. We’re maintains a safe shopping environment.”
    If that's the way the store sees it, that should be their prerogative but I don't think it should be a government mandate. Of course it's age stereotyping if not age discrimination, but people don't have to shop there.

I also think stores can say no mask no service just like they say no shirt or no shoes no service, but again I dislike an unfunded government mandate. Paying someone to stand at the front door policing this is one reason food prices are rising.

Some high end stores already had service by appointment also and that should also be their prerogative. Cue Bobby Brown!

Yppej
    My mother was out doing her recreational shopping thing yesterday and a truck rear ended her and totalled my parents' only car. I offered to get her groceries this week but according to her this is their off week when they don't go to the store. This may put a very brief dent in her excursions, but my dad was immediately talking about getting a rental car. The few germs she may avoid are probably offset by any she encountered being checked out at the hospital. The doctor told her to rest at home and I hope she does since she is very sore, but I am not optimistic.

Yppej
    Earlier we discussed closed bathrooms on hiking trails. I saw on the news today due to closed beach bathrooms people have been relieving themselves in the yards of people who live near the beach. Things need to open up. It's like people avoiding hospitals for strokes and heart attacks. Concern for one virus cannot blind us to all the other sanitation and health issues out there.

Also, if we would get rid of the open container and drinking and driving laws, people might stop throwing partially empty beer cans into my yard as they approach the Main Street with the cop on it.

and maybe the drinking age. I think a lot of them are teenagers.

and if stores stopped charging money for things that are small and lightweight, we would have less shoplifting.

or, maybe somebody could kill someone who is pooping in their yard. The death of the security guard who tried to insist on enforcing the mask policy definitely put a damper on mask policies.

The closed bathroom thing has definitely affected our comings and goings. I am starting to feel like John Howard Griffin in Black Like Me.

All of these social changes have subtle impacts that we can't even begin to measure yet.
    I don't equate this at all to open container laws, as those came about over a long period of time. Look at how North by Northwest treats Cary Grant's arrest for drunk driving, for example.

All of these laws evolved over time, and were not suddenly enacted, which creates a big difference for people.

Like seatbelt laws--I remember when those came in, and how unpopular they were, and how long people took to adapt.

So I don't think it's particularly helpful to create these analogies. I remember in the 1918 Influenza video, that mask hysteria reached a point where a police officer shot someone for not wearing a mask. I personally think that the speed of these changes, with no warning and buy-in, creates stress and violence, but that's just my humble opinion.

Thread Information