Page 110 of 601 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 1,091 to 1,100 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

According to LEO's I have talked to, yes, domestic violence is up. We expect both a boom of divorces as well as a baby boom.
    I have a friend, who is awaiting the courts to open, as they need a court order to get rid of a garage/basement full of a soon to be ex b-i-l's stuff (inherited from three people). Thankfully they were living apart, before the lockdown. The house and barn need to be emptied so it can be sold, neither can afford to keep the house and they are not wanting to communicate.

Meanwhile the waitress is immuno-compromised but you can't see it, and has to work because unemployment will be cut otherwise leaving little choice. Maybe.
    Trees don't grow on money

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    The authoritarian elements of our society have always viewed times when large numbers of people are afraid as an opportunity to advance their agenda. No matter what schedule states choose (and they must choose) to begin relaxing restrictions, they will strive to smear whatever blood they can on their ideological enemies.
    Yeah, Gov Walker did that with the pensions in the UW system, also police and firefighters in WI. If you remember, WI was in the news then too. The Republicans continue to override what the majority of the public wants to the detriment of the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I was out on a bicycle ride a few days ago, and I passed by the deck of a tavern in a nearby town. I saw and overheard a young couple being seated by a (masked) waitress. I thought those two good people were about to enjoy brats and beer, while they take in the view of the river and the rapids.

Now, I wouldn't go into any tavern before I was vaccinated, and I would require the new cases of COVID-19 in my state to be in decline. But I am an Old Croc. I look at the risk of infection with Old Croc eyes.

My choice.

But I believe those two sweethearts at the tavern ought to have their choice too. I remember how divine it can be to bite into a brat in a good bun, on a sunny day, beside a river.
    You definitely are from WI! I wonder if everyone knows what you are talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Yeah, Gov Walker did that with the pensions in the UW system, also police and firefighters in WI. If you remember, WI was in the news then too. The Republicans continue to override what the majority of the public wants to the detriment of the state.
    Police and firefighters were not affected by Act 10. I don’t recall that the public was all that outraged by UW employees paying for half their pension contribution.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    Police and firefighters were not affected by Act 10. I don’t recall that the public was all that outraged by UW employees paying for half their pension contribution.
    Act 10 in WI: The legislation primarily affected the following areas: collective bargaining, compensation, retirement, health insurance, and sick leave of public sector employees. In response, unions and other groups organized protests inside and around the state capitol.
    The public sector employs teachers, police officers, firefighters and numerous critical jobs designed to maintain a safe, productive community.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    Act 10 in WI: The legislation primarily affected the following areas: collective bargaining, compensation, retirement, health insurance, and sick leave of public sector employees. In response, unions and other groups organized protests inside and around the state capitol.
    The public sector employs teachers, police officers, firefighters and numerous critical jobs designed to maintain a safe, productive community.
    The Act specifically exempted public safety employees such as police and firefighters.

The unions did indeed make all the noise they could. They especially detested the provision that employers would no longer deduct union dues from paychecks, effectively making membership voluntary. The county government I worked for went from seven collective bargaining units to one (sheriff’s deputies). Somehow the world didn’t end.

Quote Originally Posted by gimmethesimplelife View Post
    Sunday night I met a friend of mine from college in Scottsdale on the Scottsdale Waterfront. It is a ritzy part of town inhabited by folks living in another America - one of which I'd normally only visit in my best thrift shop clothes to pose as upper middle class for snobby but well paying high end retail mystery shops.

Point? I walked by a very expensive restaurant that was open for sit down dining (now OK in Arizona) and was really disillusioned and disgusted with the upper end clientele that were visible. Though the servers were all wearing masks, the clientele were not, nor was social distancing being practiced. AND THIS FROM PEOPLE WHO CAN AFFORD TO DINE ON THE SCOTTSDALE WATERFRONT!!!!!

This last in all caps as you'd think such folks would be educated enough to know better. I am just floored and felt as if I WERE SLUMMING IN REVERSE (all caps due to what a concept). Where I live, most of us - though not 100 percent to be honest - are wearing masks. I'd say 75 to 80 percent in my neighborhood. Utterly amazing, I would not have believed it unless I saw it for myself. Rob
    Rob,

We could play the game called “but what about “where I could counter two instances of a different socioeconomic group failing to social distance for every instance you put forth. Believe me honey, I can do it, I could post pictures of the activities in my neighborhood.

But there’s no point in it. You have your preconceived notion and will provide content to support your favorite narratives..

I wasn’t gonna say anything even though there’s lots of crap going on in my neighborhood right now. Because we are cool —urban – close to everything—we have very large groups* of people gathering in Airbnb‘s around here. The shtshw I just read about 10 minutes ago (which prompted me to respond to you) was a block from me where 23 people stayed in one large house. The neighbors counted how many people were getting out of the party bus to go into the house. Last weekend I observed a different party going on with a bunch of people piling out of cars with their suitcases, standing around outside, smoking, loud music, helium balloons. NO SOCIAL DISTANCING. (Note my capital letters here because you like using those)

So here’s my bottom line – some people observe some social distancing activity some of the time. If you’d like to tie it to one socioeconomic group then I think you’re are quite limited in your view of the world.

*edited to add: these groups would, by any measure of keyboard warriors, be considered “of diverse makeup” as signaled by, ummm, skullcaps, pants-fallin’-down and etc. The latest incident included gunplay between them and next door neighbor. Real sweetheartS. Not what I would consider regular proponents of fine dining.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    If you’d like to tie it to one socioeconomic group then I think you’re are quite limited in your view of the world.
    Duh!
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

to the extent there is something to it, it's probably more like those who have done work for tips are said to be better tippers, those who have worked/do work in such a public facing position might be more considerate in wearing masks for those working there. But broader generalizations than that probably not.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information