Page 204 of 601 FirstFirst ... 104154194202203204205206214254304 ... LastLast
Results 2,031 to 2,040 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I'm a big fan of rationally.
    Your remark from above---
    If I pass you in a parking lot on my way from my car to the grocery store and say hello while pulling my mask from my pocket and putting it on, should you report me to the authorities for your perception of my wanton endangerment? And should I be prosecuted for it? I think that's the natural progression of any popular desire to punish people for what they may have done, so, my suggestion is to avoid people whose thoughts or beliefs you find offensive.

This is not rational or even a good example. Who would actually do this? Now, if you were in the store and were not wearing a mask and sneezed on me... that is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    This is not rational or even a good example. Who would actually do this?
    You're right, it's not rational and that was my point even though my example didn't live up to expectations.
    Now, if you were in the store and were not wearing a mask and sneezed on me... that is another story.
    I think I covered that too although with a qualifier. Did I actually harm you when I sneezed on you or do you want me prosecuted regardless?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

You're right, it's not rational and that was my point even though my example didn't live up to expectations.
    I think I covered that too although with a qualifier. Did I actually harm you when I sneezed on you or do you want me prosecuted regardless?
    It would depend. I can't categorically say.

Quote Originally Posted by frugal-one View Post
    It would depend. I can't categorically say.
    Well that's an interesting answer. What variable could it possibly depend upon if you're not harmed?

I don't wear hats, MAGA or otherwise, I've never torn the sleeves off a perfectly good shirt as a fashion statement and outside of being ruggedly good looking with a butt that looks good in my Levi button fly's I'm rather non-descript in an older man with a developing paunch sort of way, so does that make a difference?
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

If we were actually afflicted with the evil of hate crime laws, would your blanket statement qualify as an inducement to violence through hate? I think making public statements such as this and another poster's "summarily executed" claim are irresponsible and stoke the flames of violence, but I'm glad you can't be arrested for expressing the opinion, however offensive it may be.
    So you don't think george floyd and breonia taylor's deaths were appaling??? If that's the case we have a drastic difference of opinion here.

The idea of a hate crime is antithetical to all the freedoms of expression we enjoy as a civilized society. If I do you harm, punish me for my actions which harm you and not for what I think or say which may offend you.

If I pass you in a parking lot on my way from my car to the grocery store and say hello while pulling my mask from my pocket and putting it on, should you report me to the authorities for your perception of my wanton endangerment? And should I be prosecuted for it? I think that's the natural progression of any popular desire to punish people for what they may have done, so, my suggestion is to avoid people whose thoughts or beliefs you find offensive.

On the flip side, if I sneeze in your face as we pass in the parking lot and you become sick and die as a result and your sickness can be traced directly back to me, consider me guilty as charged and prosecute me, but only if it can be traced directly back to me and you can show intent. The idea of punishing someone who maybe harmed you would be a travesty. Who knows what you may have touched or inhaled elsewhere.
    I understand what you are saying, but I'm getting the impression that you are defining "harm" as being limited to physical harm only. I think that is where at least part of our opinions differ.

And, yes, I believe like other crimes/charges/etc. there must be investigations, charges, trials, etc. Procedures to be followed - all part of the consequences of the actions.

As for "thinking"... think whatever you want, but the minute those thoughts become actions - verbal or physical, etc. - one takes the risk of another perceiving it as "harm".
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Well that's an interesting answer. What variable could it possibly depend upon if you're not harmed?

I don't wear hats, MAGA or otherwise, I've never torn the sleeves off a perfectly good shirt as a fashion statement and outside of being ruggedly good looking with a butt that looks good in my Levi button fly's I'm rather non-descript in an older man with a developing paunch sort of way, so does that make a difference?
    Happystuff says it well. And, yes, I would be harmed just with worrying that I could possibly be infected — equating this the same way a person who has HIV could possibly infect people. This is a DEADLY virus.

It is ridiculous to even talk about your appearance. Who gives a rat’s ass?!!

Alan, how is my statement a hate statement? I hate cops being killed and cops killing people. It’s reality and I don’t like either happening.

We arrest and send people to jail for driving under the influence even if they aren't in an accident never mind one that has injured or killed people. So anyone who opposes mask laws better oppose DUI laws.
    Trees don't grow on money

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I find it sad when people kill cops. I find it equally sad when cops are killing people of color and abusing them because they have the power to do so. It’s a 2 way street. The cops that killed Breanna have yet to be charged yet the family was paid 12 million. If it was my family member wouldn’t want money. I would want them to be charged and have a fair trial. That’s the only way things will change.
    I agree to a point, TT. The good thing about huge settlements, though? They encourage more litigation upon more litigation adding up yo a lot of money. Perhaps the system will collapse upon itself, forcing change, irrevocably remving qualified immunity from officers and forcing POC American life, at least on the surface, to have some value/merit? Rob

Thread Information