Page 241 of 308 FirstFirst ... 141191231239240241242243251291 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,410 of 3080

Thread: Conavirus......

Apparently with no indoor service at bars and restaurants, people are heading to downtown Chicago hotels to party. Hotels are having a hard time policing it. They don’t have the security personnel they did before the pandemic.

Prohibitions don't work. What does is advocacy and persuasion. Millions from Capone to the Kennedys got around Prohibition, but Mothers Against Drunk Driving changed our culture forever by stigmatizing driving under the influence.

I wonder what the covid response would be if instead of government ordering us around there were PSAs featuring individuals and families affected by covid, and we were allowed to individualize our response based on our circumstances.

Tell me I can or can't do something and like any freedom loving person I am extremely resentful.

Look at our failed war on drugs and the opioid epidemic if you think you can outlaw a medical problem out of existence.

Tell me I can or can't do something and like any freedom loving person I am extremely resentful.
    I don't envy your boss.

(most of us do or don't do things as we are told all the time, maybe solely for a paycheck, maybe because it makes practical things work, like not deciding red lights mean go and green lights mean stop because we don't like being told otherwise, and btw they can ticket you for it)

Indoor bars have been illegal here the whole time except for a brief period that led to a crazy covid surge, now I'm certain some may flaunt the laws, but also there seems a very direct correlation between opening up bars and covid surges. I bet in the long run it works a lot better to keep the most risky activities closed the whole time, and everyone says bars are a most risky activity, than to open everything, surge, and retreat, open everything, surge and retreat. I really think places that have been stricter on the more risky activities are playing the long game here in the hopes of not being faced with a choice of "close everything or watch hospitals get overwhelmed", but we'll see, there's a lot of covid around and spreading.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I keep thinking of Londoners during the war turning all their lights on because "You can't tell me what to do!" What a bunch of entitled brats we are.

PSAs aren't a bad idea, but because people here are clearly a bunch of entitled brats, some negative reinforcement is often necessary.

As I've said before, we have to do things we don't like all the time (mandatory insurance, anyone?)--it's the price one pays to live in a society where yours is not the only viewpoint.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Prohibitions don't work. What does is advocacy and persuasion. Millions from Capone to the Kennedys got around Prohibition, but Mothers Against Drunk Driving changed our culture forever by stigmatizing driving under the influence.

I wonder what the covid response would be if instead of government ordering us around there were PSAs featuring individuals and families affected by covid, and we were allowed to individualize our response based on our circumstances.

Look at our failed war on drugs and the opioid epidemic if you think you can outlaw a medical problem out of existence.
    People here in IL are clearly partying at home.

Yeah, my husband's family had to cancel their reunion because of Covid, not safe. . .

I've actually seen some of those. Maybe they need to be broadcast during Faux Snooze or redneck reality shows so more will see them.
    My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far today, I have finished two bags of M&Ms and a chocolate cake. I feel better already!

I've seen them, too. They seem to be inspired by those vaccine ads with the poor grandmother becoming the Big Bad Wolf--in this version, young folks are partying and then hug the 60'ish grandma and you just know she's going to get it.

Doesn't work for me, but maybe others find it useful. I'm not the target audience cause I'm the grandma in both ads.

So that would that work for you? Reading Tammy's experiences on the forum doesn't seemed to have made a difference to you, so I'm wondering why you bring up a possible solution that still doesn't seem to effect you.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information