Page 250 of 303 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 3028

Thread: Conavirus......

The multi-faceted approach seems to be the best one. Dr. Redfield (has he been fired yet?) said the best protection was a mask--even better than a vaccine. I think we'll all have to take multiple precautions including the vaccine when it becomes available, until COVID19 has gone the way of smallpox. By then we'll have another killer virus, I expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar View Post
    There is a common theory I've seen that they are calling the "swiss cheese" theory that relies on several things. If the virus gets through one level of protection (hole in the cheese I guess) it will be caught by the next. I think for the near future to get things under control it won't just be a vaccine, but a combination of vaccines, mask and social behavior, contact tracing, testing, and self isolation, etc. By the time us commoners get access to a vaccine we will probably have a lot more information to choose the right one or decide upon the various risks.
    Yes, I agree with this. I know, personally, I'll be wearing a mask for quite a while into the foreseeable future.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

I might not be the first one to ask for a vaccine and regardless I'm not likely to be the first to qualify for one either, but if I got a vaccine with 94 - 95 % effectiveness, I don't think I'm wearing a mask anymore - at least if it means I'm not contagious either

Socially we should have gone for multiple approaches not just a rushed vaccine, mostly reducing (if not eliminating) spread, easily available fast testing, and therapeutics (the attention was not put on that, it's why we don't have the monoclonal antibodies in wide distribution for the sick now). We went for the hail mary technofix of vaccine or bust, mass death until vaccine (now let's do geoengineering). So yea the approach - we need our heads examined. But sure that technofix might save us this time (but of course it means the vaccine is somewhat rushed - if all you have is a hammer). Ever hear about how you shouldn't be like the marathoner who loses energy right before the finish line, that's the whole country now.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

I'll wait to see how the vaccine works (and for how long) before I ditch the mask completely, but I'll probably maintain happy hermit mode for some time to come.

Thanks for the sympathies. I did not know this woman, maybe met her a couple times when I was a little kid that I don't remember. I am sorry for her husband and closer family though.

This still does not change my views. Rumors are my governor aka dictator will shut the state down again so I went for a haircut today while I still can.

A nurse friend of mine in New Mexico reports:

"3600+ positives today... we lost a 12 year old today.... highest rate of infection is age range 18-34..... highest death rate is for age range 80+.... It took us 7 days for last 10,000 positives, whereas first 10k positives took 93 days.... not good trends... young people are getting it and dying from it.... a vaccine cannot come soon enough and please Zoomsgiving not ICU for Christmas..."

Itís getting to be such bad and sad news that I can hardly watch it anymore. We are following a similar trajectory to the 1918 Spanish flu, sadly.

Ever hear about how you shouldn't be like the marathoner who loses energy right before the finish line, that's the whole country now.
    including me as I maybe saw my bf before it would be smart to after that covid case at his work. It has been 5 days and a negative covid test for bf since the covid coworker was at work and since I previously saw bf (but the covid test was probably taken too soon to show anything).
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

Rachel Maddow (MSNBC host) is in quarantine at home because her partner has it. She's OK so far, but Susan was touch and go at one point. She made an understandably heartfelt plea to people to be very careful.

And then that quack Atlas went out and told everyone to go home to family and hug granny--because "she might not be here next year." Yeah--she won't if you have anything to say about it. Irresponsible is far too mild a word for him and his "herd immunity."

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The multi-faceted approach seems to be the best one. Dr. Redfield (has he been fired yet?) said the best protection was a mask--even better than a vaccine.
    This past summer I made several posts about how despite the mask mandate cases in California were exploding.

Now 37 states have mask mandates. New Hampshire put one in this week. Let's see if this does anything. I think not. If masks work with many more mandates in place than during the summer new cases and positivity rates should be going down. Instead they are going up. If masks work states with mandates should be outperforming states without. Instead things are getting worse nationwide. The mask policy is a failed policy. Better to follow RI governor Raimundo and tell people to stop socializing with anyone outside their household.

Thread Information