Page 304 of 601 FirstFirst ... 204254294302303304305306314354404 ... LastLast
Results 3,031 to 3,040 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Yppej
    My mom is eager to visit, my dad is more cautious. I will probably wait until she brings it up again and then get feedback from everyone.

I would take a day off work to take them to the stadium if they could get in, but it is only for first responders. I tried calling 211 at lunchtime but it goes to the United Way in the county where I work which is not the county they live in and the lines were busy.

Tried calling the IRS multiple times on an unrelated issue and was not even given the option to hold but a recording told me to call back. People are jamming up the lines calling about stimulus payments.

Hoping my 24+ year old furnace holds up as that is the latest item in short supply as manufacturers are short staffed with quarantining employees.

I feel like the whole world is falling to pieces, not to mention rising hunger, child brides, etc in poorer parts of the world. The economic impact is going to dwarf the loss of life. 1/10th of 1 percent of the US population has died but 100% have been impacted economically.

Quote Originally Posted by Tybee View Post
    Yppej, if you can visit your parents safely, then that would be good.

I guess you guys are the only ones who can figure that out, what is a safe way to be in each other's pod.
    I hope for her parents’ sake that she doesn’t wear a mask with holes punched in it if she does go visit them.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    I hope for her parents’ sake that she doesn’t wear a mask with holes punched in it if she does go visit them.
    But, wouldn't that be more comfortable?

Everybody has to do what they have to do with respect to being with family during the pandemic. Sometimes you don't have the greatest choices.

My heart goes out to you on the subject of wanting and needing to be with your parents, Yppej. Good luck with figuring out a safe way to be with your loved ones.

Yppej
    Thank you Tybee. Now that it's winter we have tried parking parallel to each other with the car windows rolled down and talking, but this past weekend there was a biting cold wind and after about 10 minutes my dad couldn't take it anymore. We tried cranking up the heat in the cars but then it is hard to hear each other over the wind plus he is very hard of hearing.

I have not been seeing my brothers either. Everyone in my family can stay home but me. I have to go to work five days a week. This pod idea is fine for those privileged enough to get to work from home, but not for essential workers where face time at the jobsite is mandatory.

Considering Biden’s plan to vaccinate 100 million people in 100 days your parents will most likely get the vaccine soon. Fauci said it’s a challenging task but possible.

Not everyone can get the vaccine at once, oh well, sure the rollout has been somewhat incompetent, but regardless not everyone could get the vaccine at the same time anyway.

I have seen literally noone inside without a mask but bf and it hurts a lot. Other than our moms none of us are going to be vaccinated anytime soon. Wait for single dose vaccines? Well may as well, going to be waiting awhile regardless. Whether you work from home although it's partly about the job, depends in part on whether you have good bosses or not, my bf could work from home as it's basically office work, but has to go to the office (hey working for Trump supporters). Luck of the draw of whatever employers one ended up with before this all started.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I am continuing to read about England in WW2. In Churchill"s first year in office 5,626 children died from German bombs.

In the US as of mid November, the latest data I could find, 133 US children have died of covid:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...id-19-n1247913

Keep in mind the population is larger now than then, and the US is a much bigger country.

This reinforces my point that the media stirs people up as if covid were the hugest catastrophe ever. It is not. It is an opportunistic infection that in the vast majority of cases kills the elderly and those in poor health.

The bombings also had property damage as well as death.

Covid is real and not a hoax, but the fear it generates is in striking contrast to the strong spirit of bravery the English exhibited. I wonder if many Americans alive today would have pursued peace with Hitler like Quislings.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am continuing to read about England in WW2. In Churchill"s first year in office 5,626 children died from German bombs.

In the US as of mid November, the latest data I could find, 133 US children have died of covid:

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...id-19-n1247913

Keep in mind the population is larger now than then, and the US is a much bigger country.

This reinforces my point that the media stirs people up as if covid were the hugest catastrophe ever. It is not. It is an opportunistic infection that in the vast majority of cases kills the elderly and those in poor health.

The bombings also had property damage as well as death.

Covid is real and not a hoax, but the fear it generates is in striking contrast to the strong spirit of bravery the English exhibited. I wonder if many Americans alive today would have pursued peace with Hitler like Quislings.
    I agree with you that our resident virus does not present nearly the horrifying limits and destruction to life that .wWII did.

I mean, even here in the U.S. there were restrictions, limiting activities, etc.

Yppej
    I remember some of you being very dismissive when I raised concerns about the global impact of covid - things like rising rates of starvation and people selling their daughters as child brides because they could not feed them. So you must be really angry that Biden has rejoined WHO - the organization that recently said that older people around the world should be vaccinated before younger Americans are. After all, it's all about you and yours, right?

Thread Information