Page 48 of 601 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898148548 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    I’m waiting for the CDC to recommend whiskey, butter brickle and orange beef, and they’ll be able to feature me in PSAs.

I suppose if you’re relatively young and healthy, you could go for cheap fares, etc, as a sort of risk arbitrage exercise.
    I laid in a two-year minimum supply of brandy, a 750 ml bottle. And a pint of Snoqualmie bourbon ice cream. Oh, the debauchery.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    Probably a tax write-off, as well. I'd go for it just to get the panorama at home.
    You might just need a USB hub.
    He is IT security and he'll do what he needs to do. Not my arena.

Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    Hubster's office is preparing for work-at-home. He is not excited. He has 2 24" monitors on his desk and uses them both constantly. Working security off a 10" laptop screen is not his idea of a good time
    I’d have the same problem. Work will let me take one home if we have to work from home for multiple days. It’s already been discussed n

There is no means to work at home, it hasn't been discussed, and I'll be going to the office, well not if I'm sick is all. Nor will my partner be able to work from home. We both do office work pretty much, but there are no such provisions. So soldier on, is all there is.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yesterday I went to Walgreens to buy a thermometer. They were completely out. The only thermometer I have in my house has been up a bulldog butt so I don’t want that in my mouth! Haha. I went to CVS and they were down to two thermometers, one in a beat up box. But I bought it anyway. I don’t like it, it’s not acting consistently and I have to read directions to use it.

But the main issue in my life at the moment is community garden strife about canceling our annual brunch and meeting on Sunday. The usual self centered voices are expressing sadness and disappointment at the very thought! They are sad because they don’t get to do what they expected to do I guess, who knows. What a bunch of dingbats.

The physician in our group recommends we cancel and she said she will not attend. I am not attending. I already told garden leaders I won’t be there. I will make the coffee I committed to make but I’m delivering it to the Park house and then I’m leaving.

The physician in our group relayed a bit of information about St. Louis in the 1918 influenza epidemic. Here, we had good social isolation practices and as a result we had many fewer cases then they had in Philadelphia, a comparable size city.

I am thinking about my maternal grandparents in the 1918 flu epidemic. They were newly married and homesteading high in the Colorado western slope area. I suppose their isolation and resourcefulness kept them safe during those times. Not even sure that they knew what was going on as news for many rural folks was hard to come by back then. I think we have too much "news" now.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    There is no means to work at home, it hasn't been discussed, and I'll be going to the office, well not if I'm sick is all. Nor will my partner be able to work from home. We both do office work pretty much, but there are no such provisions. So soldier on, is all there is.
    Well, that stinks!

The huge Catholic Archdiocese of Chicago has closed all schools and cancelled all church services. I’m Orthodox, so we don’t fall under their oversight, but still interesting. One coworker will have to start working at home Monday due to his daughter’s public school closing indefinitely. Next town over from where I live. His wife can’t work from home and they have no local family. Everything he does can be done from home.

A bunch of coworkers went out at lunch in search of TP for at home and for the office.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    I will be out sometime today (off-peak) to pick up a few items I'd like to have in the house if we cannot get out.
    I went to my food co-op and a smaller supermarket near our home. I could not find disinfecting wipes in either store (didn't expect to find such a disposable at the co-op, though). So I bought more paper towels; we have bleach in the house and can dilute it in a spray bottle. I hate the smell of bleach, but it will have to do. The places I went to had toilet paper and water in stock, though there were significant dents in the stocking level for both, even at non-sale prices. Customers seemed to be maintaining some distance from each other -- though I purposely picked places that kind of enforce it.

Now to hole up for a little while.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

I'm hoping increased employees working from home will serve to make the practice more widespread. Also--without much help from an ineffective government--people are getting up to speed on how to handle community health emergencies. Trying to look at the brighter side of this.

About holing up : fortunately, it is easy for our household.

I expect my gardens will be in tip top shape, my house will be clean, my digital files organized, and all flower show planning for fall 2020 and 2021 will be done by June 1. Are use this downtime to get ahead. It’s like an extension for me of January and February which are already down time months anyway.

I am so sorry for those of you who planned a big trip. I am grateful that I didn’t jump on my urge to book a tour in Europe for August.

Thread Information