Page 91 of 601 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141191591 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Tradd here is an article which notes the CDC lists obesity as a covid-19 risk factor:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...y-and-covid-19
    Oh, I know I've seen it in the news. I meant here, in this thread. People here have talked about things like high blood pressure, diabetes, but haven't mentioned (that I've seen) here.

Yppej
    Quote Originally Posted by Gardnr View Post
    I doubt SNFs had a supply of N95 masks at all let alone a satisfactory inventory of regular face masks.
    When you fail to plan you plan to fail. I guess they were focused on other things like consolidation and maximizing profits.

As a asthmatic I wouldn’t live long if I smoked anything. I don’t know any that do. Asthma is often caused by allergies or poor air quality. Smokers get COPD . Although I know non smokers with it.

This discussion puts me in mind of something my former doctor said to me. He was an old-school realist who said that our goal was to control my condition well enough for something else to kill me.

When you fail to plan you plan to fail. I guess they were focused on other things like consolidation and maximizing profits.
    In general, a SNF shouldn't need N95s or regular masks. So I disagree with your assessment.

the personal responsibility angle on this of all things seems rather tangential to anything, because really if one is concerned about covid is almost anyone's concerns only themselves or maybe also others they care about?

But one can't "take personal responsibility" for others behavior if they are obese or smokers or elderly obviously (one of these things is not like the others). That's al-anon 101. But the horror of "sacrifice the weak" as social policy persists.

But I guess the distress of it all, this living in crazy times in a crazy place, can penetrate deep enough that one may as well be adopting the psychology of a concentration camp victim, just survival, day by day survival, personal hope for one's survival as the entire of one's focus. But that one's focus has narrowed that much to only focus on one's survival, as all one is capable of even processing, seems a sign of the trauma.

And as for one's survival of course the best thing to do is not get covid, to avoid it, but if one gets it anyway despite taking every precaution, then be as healthy as they can, hope they are able to fight it off (although not to fight it off TOO strongly as that can kill you too, but I don't think there is much can be done about that - I don't think we can produce "perfect medium" immune systems, we can just be healthy is all).
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    1 in 5 Americans is now unemployed. I would be interested in knowing how many of the remaining 4 of 5 get to work from home and how many can't and, as ANM says despite their best efforts, could get sick. I don't think bandannas and other cloth coverings around people's faces and temperature checks will keep me safe at work. If I'm going to get it anyways I may as well be able to get my hair cut and do other things I want. Yesterday a customer came in the employees only office area, the manager did nothing, and when I spoke to the intruder - very nicely - he said, "What are you going to do? Kick me out?" There's not a day goes by I feel safe from the virus at work, but I do have the right to quit as an employee at will. I choose to work and despite the risks I am happy to have a job. Others should have the choice to open or close their businesses and if they want to take on the risk of selling to me and I want to take on the risk of buying so be it. Life is full of risks.

1 in 5 Americans is now unemployed. I would be interested in knowing how many of the remaining 4 of 5 get to work from home and how many can't and, as ANM says despite their best efforts, could get sick. I don't think bandannas and other cloth coverings around people's faces and temperature checks will keep me safe at work. If I'm going to get it anyways I may as well be able to get my hair cut and do other things I want. Yesterday a customer came in the employees only office area, the manager did nothing, and when I spoke to the intruder - very nicely - he said, "What are you going to do? Kick me out?" There's not a day goes by I feel safe from the virus at work, but I do have the right to quit as an employee at will. I choose to work and despite the risks I am happy to have a job. Others should have the choice to open or close their businesses and if they want to take on the risk of selling to me and I want to take on the risk of buying so be it. Life is full of risks.
    So, you’re proposing sort of the flip version of ‘I’ve got mine so eff everyone else’. What you seem to be saying is ‘I don’t have my security from this so why should anyone else?’

Someone equally unempathetic could say ‘why don’t you find a job that can be done from home instead of complaining that everyone should have to risk their lives?’

Yppej
    Jp, what I'm saying is more like security is an illusion for anyone not able to hunker down in their house for 18 months to 2 years. Most of us are not prepared to be survivalists like that.

Jp, what I'm saying is more like security is an illusion for anyone not able to hunker down in their house for 18 months to 2 years. Most of us are not prepared to be survivalists like that.
    And for all the people saying, "I work at home or I am retired or I have investments that I can live off of indefinitely, so I will get groceries delivered, cut my own hair, etc. etc." you are especially lucky and protected by your money, and getting things sent by Amazon and having groceries delivered depends upon the work of others who do not have that luxury or that protection.

It's turning out to be a very unequal proposition, the protection of the vulnerable, because anyone who is out working now is more vulnerable than those of us lucky enough to work at home.

And if we are going to get Covid, I'd rather get it with employment and health insurance than laid off. That's my opinion; I understand that decent people can actually hold different opinions from my own, and that does not make them bad people.

Thread Information