Page 50 of 601 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260100150550 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    From what I can tell--contrary to Trump's pronouncements--there are still few tests available. Health care workers are still begging for them. This is (literally) sickening. If we don't understand where the threat is greatest, and who is already affected, we're trying to respond blindly.
    He is the ultimate denier I guess by building up supplies in Jan and Feb it would have brought Covid-19 to shore. See how his prevention strategy worked for us?

The governor of CA just this week said they were sent tests without all the necessary parts. Do I believe him? Well I don't think anyone was excited about that governor election and only reluctantly voted if they did, but yes I do. And the Trump administration? I don't believe at all.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I got my state auto inspection a month early in case that is impacted. I also checked a couple dozen books out of the library.

Quote Originally Posted by KayLR View Post
    This just in---a friend just told me he was going in to a local sporting goods store and there was a LINE of people buying guns. Ugh. What fear is driving this?? (Nobody's gonna take my TP from me, man!)
    I would venture it isn't just one, but several.
    Fear that panic is going to become more widespread, and people are going to start getting lawless (looting etc. like the Rodney King riots where you had to defend your store/property/life).
    Tax refund time, where a lot of paycheck to paycheck buyers, typically buy (then sell months later when in a financial hardship).
    Fear about the Democrats all saying they are going to take your guns/ammo.
    Some stores getting out of selling guns, and people go looking for sales, closeouts etc. (like they did when Walmart stopped carrying ammo)

AKA the usual suspects.

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    literally, there are just letting them out into the community corona or not (not that there isn't corona in the community but that's just increasing the spread).
    I don't know about US residents from other states, but the 14 cruise ship passengers that are residents of Wisconsin are being picked up and driven home by members of the WI National Guard. Governor Evers said the Guard will be driving state-owned vehicles, unarmed. All Guard members assigned to this mission are volunteers.

None of the passengers tested positive, all are asymptomatic. When they arrive in Wisconsin, they will be greeted by Department of Health Services personnel, then transported to their homes for a 14-day home quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    This is a time for individual responsibility to lead the way, and every citizen needs to act in a responsible way. I don’t need Trump, Nanny Gubmnt at local or wide level, or the CDC to tell me to wash my hands and avoid any nonessential social interaction. It is amazing to me that people are not understanding “nonessential. “
    Weren't you the person who posted about that family in which the quarantined husband and daughter escaped to a father-daughter dance and the wife went shopping (or something like that)?

I agree that it is time for individual responsibility to lead the way. But responsibility to the collective is not ingrained in the American psyche and it's probably been a couple of generations since most people even have had to flex that muscle. If it requires a governor or an agency, the job of which is to safeguard the country, to spell out specifically behaviors that people either cannot or will not observe for themselves, then so be it. What's the old saying about someone's rights ending where someone else's nose begins?

I don't believe bureaucracy is the natural state of things. Why should grocery stores have to limit purchases of hand sanitizer well beyond what any human could use in the space of a few weeks? Can't people regulate that for themselves? Why do not people recognize that they can infect others with COVID-19 even if they personally are not experiencing symptoms? It seems to go beyond giving people the facts. Bureaucracy forms because people either fail to use good sense or feel any sense of fairness is appropriate. Unfortunate, but there it is. jmho
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by SteveinMN View Post
    Weren't you the person who posted about that family in which the quarantined husband and daughter escaped to a father-daughter dance and the wife went shopping (or something like that)?

I agree that it is time for individual responsibility to lead the way. But responsibility to the collective is not ingrained in the American psyche and it's probably been a couple of generations since most people even have had to flex that muscle. If it requires a governor or an agency, the job of which is to safeguard the country, to spell out specifically behaviors that people either cannot or will not observe for themselves, then so be it. What's the old saying about someone's rights ending where someone else's nose begins?

I don't believe bureaucracy is the natural state of things. Why should grocery stores have to limit purchases of hand sanitizer well beyond what any human could use in the space of a few weeks? Can't people regulate that for themselves? Why do not people recognize that they can infect others with COVID-19 even if they personally are not experiencing symptoms? It seems to go beyond giving people the facts. Bureaucracy forms because people either fail to use good sense or feel any sense of fairness is appropriate. Unfortunate, but there it is. jmho
    Yes I posted about the St. Louis man whose daughter came back from Italy, got tested for coronavirus, told to stay in, but he and other daughter and wife what about their usual business In attending a father daughter dance at a tony private school.

Here’s what’s fun about that guy: he is the perfect lightening rod for distain. He is a middle aged educated well-off white man from Ladue who is an executive at Monsanto.

Can we all see the trigger words for Identity politics? I highlighted them in case some could not. I am happy that the heat went toward him and we didn’t have to play race politics as is the usual thing in St. Louis. We are not supposed to participate in public shaming until, of course, we find the right story.Personally, I don’t see how a little pubic shaming hurts if it illustrates desirable behavior.

Steve, I absolutely agree that any attempt to ration products on the shelves in the grocery store is ridiculous. I am actually happy that people are running around today to the grocery store and the drugstore getting appropriate supplies. A friend stopped by to visit this morning and he said our grocery store has no bread no chicken on the shelves. I went to a nearby grocery store later that had everything on the shelves, so supplies depend on the store.

And I do think the government —of course!—should be suggesting appropriate behavior because so many people look to nanny G to do that. It is fine, but it is also sad.

But then I have to think about my own situation which is very very simple. I sit at home and peruse the Internet. So many people came to a realization just yesterday, people in my immediate circle, that hey this is a serious deal and We need to step up to take action. I’m glad they are getting there but they were working at their jobs taking care of their children you know living a more complicated life than I live, so the full impact of this Didnt hit them earlier.

I think most people are doing the best they can in a really disorienting situation. We were just at the grocery and all the milk was gone, in our largest grocery in town. All the toilet paper was gone yesterday and today in three stores. There were limits on items that were no longer available, anyway. All the flour was gone. So people are trying their best to think of how to feed their families for a month if all the stores close as quickly and unexpectedly as the schools and the library and my husband's doctor did.

A lot of these survival skills have been forgotten, or no longer taught, like do I buy canned milk so that I can bake? etc.

As to ammo, I'm not prepared to shoot someone over my supplies so I'm not going there. But I know my neighbors have guns and would use them on someone who came to take their supplies. They are mostly ex-military and have a "don't mess with me" attitude. To each his own.

As to people who got sick unexpectedly with a disease they had never heard of--well my heart goes out to them. What a terrible thing, and I wish we would minimize some of the inevitable scapegoating that is starting to happen. The first case in Maine was id'ed as a middle aged woman who had recently traveled abroad. Class privilege etc. comes to mind. Turns out she was a Navy reservist on Navy manuevers.

I say we stop blaming them and work on keeping as many folks safe as possible and try to remember that they are doing the best they can, even if it in hindsight is clear to us that they did something that they should not have.

And calling people stupid because they want to buy toilet paper--well, I'd rather stop judging and try to keep a helpful, positive mindset.

But are the stores actually closed anywhere in the world? My understanding it is one of the few things open when they shut down Italy: grocery stores.

It smells of panic, it's true one could be home sick for awhile and not leave the house.

If one plans to hide out for a several months and not grocery shop and is stocking up NOW, it strikes me as counterproductive, as the virus is out there already, and the stores being so extra crowded is probably not going to help anything (I'm not saying don't eat, just it's crowds, it's a risk). And at this point it's the hoarding of toilet paper that is going to lead to people not being able to get toilet paper, though yes I expect that situation to resolve and more TP to be on the way eventually.
    Trees don't grow on money

They are not closed here, but I think the feeling is that things are being closed unexpectedly and without notice, and people want a few weeks to a month of food.
    That is what I think is happening, anyway.

Thread Information