Page 497 of 601 FirstFirst ... 397447487495496497498499507547597 ... LastLast
Results 4,961 to 4,970 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Feeling so bad for our neighbor today. There was an ambulance at their home a couple of days ago which isn't a rare sight. He has been having issues for awhile and in the last year the caregiving has really started to take a toll on her. She called an ambulance for herself a month ago because he was not able to drive. All ER's were full and they advised they could take her but she would be waiting hours. It was best to wait until she could get into her doctor the next day which she did but it really shook her that had it been urgent for him he would not have the care he needed. Well..... the ambulance was for her and I just found out today that she died of Covid. They have no kids so I don't know where he is going to end up.
    Had only a nodding relationship for years. Her husband (older) was kind of the grumpy old "get off my lawn" neighbor to the kids. Since the pandemic we had talked more and more at the mailbox since we had caregiving to our husbands in common. This last summer we started having end of the cul-de-sac happy hours on our lawn chairs in the street. Other neighbors began joining in, BYOB and sharing snacks. She was sooooooo wicked funny. I felt bad that so much time had gone by without realizing what a gem she was. So glad we were able to give her a break from the stress of caregiving if only for an hour or two. This hits hard.

I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

It is hard to watch that unfold in another and yet not be able to help. So sorry for all.
    As Cicero said, “Gratitude is not only the greatest of virtues, but the parent of all the others.”

Simple, so sorry for the loss of your friend. One of mine died on Xmas day and it’s definitely hard.

Simplemind, that must be shocking and sad. So sorry!

So sad for all involved.

Yppej
    Here comes Big Brother - covid sniffing dogs in public schools - I kid you not.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...nes-180978236/

When bedbugs were all in the headlines a number of years ago I half seriously suggested to SO that his hotel employer get a bedbug sniffing dog to hang out in the lobby and sniff the bags of people checking in. If the dog alerted them the front desk clerk would politely inform the guest that the hotel was oversold but that they had a room reserved for them at the hotel across the street.

But seriously, if dogs could be trained to alert to covid on a large scale (doubtful) this could be quite helpful and in the long run far cheaper than massive quantities of single use rapid tests. Those could be saved for use on the people the dog alerted on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    Here comes Big Brother - covid sniffing dogs in public schools - I kid you not.

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...nes-180978236/
    Scent dogs are great. I’ve used them to save lives for decades. My current bloodhound has 25+ saves to his name. Everyone loves him. His name is Elvis.

Seems a reasonable use of the dogs if this is something they can reliably scent.

Bedbugs invaded libraries, and some people on our administrative staff thought we should test to see if our library had them.

NOOOOOOOO! Because guess what! They would have been found! And then major upheavel would result.

NO I think not.

But I no longer pull in sofas from the alley. I think fondly of two alley sofas I had over the years, One a cool old 1960s sectional that was grimy but retro-cool. The other was a very comfortable big thing. Once in a while I will see mattresses or other upholstered items in an alley with a sign that says “BEDBUGS” Which clues anyone in don’t take it into your house.

Thread Information