Page 68 of 601 FirstFirst ... 1858666768697078118168568 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    There are cases near me but we are self quarantining. Of course our governor would not close the beaches, bars, and restaurants due to spring break. All those spring breakers got into cars and planes and flew north.

My retirement community has everything closed. A few restaurants open for takeout. One community about ten miles has its gym, pool and clubhouse open. Probably because it’s all a hoax you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I had totally forgotten that my oldest son and his wife have a 2 bedroom apartment that each has its own bathroom. So they are willing to quarantine Jeffrey there for 2 weeks to protect us. Money is tight for them so I will give them money for food. Jeffrey is a big smoker so my other son is going to buy nicotine gum for him)
    That is a wonderful solution! So glad they figured it out and he can stay there.

Terry - glad things worked out for your son!

bae - glad your dd is safe.

Hope everyone else is doing well.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Minnesota and Wisconsin are adjacent to each other and have tested approximately the same number of residents, but Minnesota has been far more successful in "bending the curve". The number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 per million people in MN grew by more than 35% during the first 4 days after the first case was confirmed in MN. But around the time MN closed the schools, bars and restaurants, the hit rate for MN declined. As of 3/27/2020, the rate of confirmed cases per million people had dropped to .0273 in MN, compared to .0609 in WI.

Minnesota 441 positive tests in 16,129 persons tested.
    Wisconsin 989/16,221

I wonder if the Minnesota residents are more willing and able to be socially distant than comparable people in Wisconsin.

I could contrast the messages of the two Governors when they each ordered the closure of bars and restaurants (effective 5 PM on St Patrick's Day, March 17).

In Minnesota, Gov Tim Walz stood behind a podium and said, "We need folks' cooperation. … We need to stop congregating." ...The bars and restaurants will be closed at 5 PM.
    In Wisconsin, Gov Tony Evers sat at a desk and read out of a visible 3-ring binder: "As of 5 PM today all bars and restaurants will be closed in the state... We have cases of community spread... Stay home if you can."
    Governor Evers delivered the order at 2:30 PM. The Tavern League of Wisconsin immediately emailed their members the message: That (order by Gov Evers) is not realistic as thousands of taverns and restaurants across the state have people in their establishments for St Patrick's Day celebration. To kick people out would pose serious issues.... Use your own judgment
    Later the Tavern League of Wisconsin clarified that they had no intention of defying the Governor's order.

Milwaukee County is the location of 489 of Wisconsin's 989 positive tests. I see media reports that city and county officials there "are issuing reminders about safe social distancing". They warn that "state laws could allow law enforcement to issue at least a $250 fine and up to 30 days in jail". But the Sheriff's office is quoted , "what we want to do is get voluntary compliance."

Meanwhile on the lakefront trail... It has been noted that the mayor Chicago has closed their lakefront trail. The mayor of Milwaukee, Tom Barrett, says he does not think Milwaukee is at that point. "But if I see any evidence of congregating, we are going to go in there with lightening speed."

Yppej
    I am stuck in my state now. If I leave when I come back I have to self-quarantine for 14 days. I am closer to one adjacent state than I am to my job. It feels very strange, because I know viruses do not look at border lines on a map.

The Chicago mayor was on TV pretty much scolding everyone to get off the lakefront. I don't know if Milwaukee's lakefront is as popular as Chicago's, what with the long bike/pedestrian path Chicago has.

https://wgntv.com/news/coronavirus/c...d-19-outbreak/

Quote Originally Posted by dado potato View Post
    I wonder if the Minnesota residents are more willing and able to be socially distant than comparable people in Wisconsin.
    I can't speak for the other 5.999999 million of us but I think we are.

In truth, I do believe the Milwaukee area was hit by COVID-19 before it landed in Minnesota, so Wisconsin got a head start. That would account for some of the differences in numbers.

But, sociologically, I think there's a difference between Minnesotans and (at least) western-living Wisconsonites (don't know anyone on the east side of the state). Minnesotans generally tend to be more aware of the value of compromising individual behavior (or freedoms) if it benefits the collective. Not that everyone has to like compromising; it's just reinforced through things like limits on how many fish you can catch and with whatever the state has to do to keep the Boundary Waters free of development and unspoken rules about how soon you merge into one lane when there's a road restriction ahead. And since people are not moving out of the state in droves and its economy is doing better than Wisconsin's, I suspect most folks are okay with the results, if not four-square behind how we get there.

The standing joke here is that Governor Walz could have had every Minnesotan glue himself or herself to their houses by announcing that, if we didn't, the State Fair would be canceled. That still might happen (who knows??) but us Minnesotans take our state fair very seriously. Iowa may have had a song written about theirs, but people come to ours.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Sorry, dude, Iowa State fair is the Great State Fair. No other compares.

I’ve been to the state fairs of Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, and yes, Minnesota.

I’ve been going to the Illinois State fair the last few years because it’s closer to me than Missouri state fair is. I judge flower shows at the Illinois State fair. I do like the Illinois State fair very much by the way.

Except for truly huge and obvious differences, I wonder if there is much value in trying to use political or cultural differences to explain the progress of a virus in a population. Crediting authoritarian versus more liberal regimes with more disease-fighting prowess. Or congratulating Minnesotans on their greater degree of docility in compliance with directives to account for relatively small differences in infection rates.

There are so many other factors. Demographic. Geographic. Transportation infrastructure. Sheer random chance. I don’t see this disease as ammunition for credible political or cultural claims.

Quote Originally Posted by LDAHL View Post
    There are so many other factors. Demographic. Geographic. Transportation infrastructure. Sheer random chance. I don’t see this disease as ammunition for credible political or cultural claims.
    That's fine. I don't mean to start a culture war here. As a non-native Minnesotan there are plenty of things to poke at here. I just posted a possibility.

Minnesota rules for a Certificate of Occupancy: house enclosed, with functional plumbing and electricity; adherence to local building code.
    Wisconsin rules for a CO: does it have a roof? (that's about it; direct experience with friends of ours who built their own place and relied on a camp stove and a portapotty for months after getting their CO)

Just something to do. I'm between projects at the moment. Make it a big deal if you want to.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Thread Information