Page 195 of 601 FirstFirst ... 95145185193194195196197205245295 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,950 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
    We went to the dentist a month ago and nothing. They has removed magazines and books from the waiting room, wore masks and face shields for hygienist, but pretty standard. No temp check, testing, etc. And yet, I felt that they took adequate precautions.
    That sounds like my dentist. I went for a cleaning after almost a year. Magazines an extra truck key is gone from the waiting room. They did take my temperature.

The thing is we're 7 months in and most people's caution is going to loosen because it kind of can't be kept up indefinitely especially with literally no end or plan in sight, federal and local government as useless as ever - testing and contract tracing always rather sucking, hopes for rapid testing but no such thing actually available and who knows if it ever will be, treatments promised here and there but largely going nowhere much, other than maybe a vaccine in 2021, which may take months upon months to be distributed so even 2021 might be optimistic. The mental health impacts of keeping perfect vigilance at some point outweigh the real risk of covid, which I don't even deny can have long term complications.

Teachers and other school employees though signed up for a job, nothing more just a job, the exchange of skilled labor for a paycheck, not to be matyrs for someone else's rugrats that they don't want to take care of, never mind the grandparents etc. they might live with and expose if they went to school etc.. In a few parts of the country like NYC this might even be fairly low risk, in other parts eh not so much.
    Trees don't grow on money

Yppej
    I am following World Health Organization guidelines on covid and not going for routine dentist visits until the pandemic is over, although my dentist's office keeps calling and mailing me as they are desperate for business. It surprises me all the people who think a mask is necessary, yet go to a setting where spray from a person's mouth gets all over the place while their teeth are being worked on.

Quote Originally Posted by Yppej View Post
    I am following World Health Organization guidelines on covid and not going for routine dentist visits until the pandemic is over, although my dentist's office keeps calling and mailing me as they are desperate for business. It surprises me all the people who think a mask is necessary, yet go to a setting where spray from a person's mouth gets all over the place while their teeth are being worked on.
    At my dentist office, masks are not the only precaution taken. I believe they protect themselves admirably from the spray from my mouth and I know they sanitize everything in the room between patients. I think it's safer than going through a drive-through for an egg McMuffin or shopping in a store.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

My dentist’s office has been using face shields and masks on the dentist and hygienist for years. Plus they don’t have the little bowl you spit into. They put water into your mouth with one hose and suction it out with another.

Requiring a negative Covid test just to make an appt that is two months out is just ridiculous.

Yppej
    The main reaction I've seen to covid is that everyone thinks their way is right and they are very judgmental of other people. For instance, there are a lot of mask zealots who socialize, including in restaurants with people outside their immediate household though you can't wear a mask when eating, who go to gatherings, go to the dentist, etc. I am the opposite. I think masks are only of very limited effectiveness, they usually aren't worn correctly, and they make people think it's okay to not socially distance. So I take other precautions and think my way is better.

There is no sense that we are all in this together. People get very heated and downright nasty in some cases because it's their way or the highway. Although a democracy should welcome varied points of view, there is no recognition that everyone is doing the best they can to get through this. The pandemic is also very politicized, with people on one side exaggerating it and on the other minimizing it, and folks choose which experts they want to listen to. For instance, the CDC bowed to the pressure of the ADA and so dental offices are open for routine services, despite the World Health Organization saying this is a bad idea. There is much we don't know about the virus, yet many think they know it all, and have all the answers for how others should behave, whilst in many cases ignoring the beam in their own eye.

Err on the side of caution... is my tenet.

Yppej
    Many teachers are protesting going to work because their buildings do not have brand new HVAC systems. This amazes me. I consider education an essential service. I don't see workers in medicine, supermarkets, police forces, firefighters, manufacturing, distribution, logistics - you name it, any other essential field - making these complaints. Lots of us work in older buildings. Life is not perfect or zero risk. They should get over their exceptionalism.

Russian trolls busy today.

i err on the side of caution to a large degree, but there's a risk of that too going on 7 months (not for a month or two then you are just whining - want some cheese with that? But really we're on 7 months now - some might count from sooner but outbreaks weren't large most places before March but whatever I don't care to quibble if someone counts from Feb or Jan and started distancing then.)

It's a risk when you no longer turn down a routine dental cleaning which certainly makes sense to me, but won't go for an appointment when you lose a tooth or are kept up all night with a toothache. And months and months of extreme precaution and I certainly risk becoming that neurotic. The habits of not engaging with the world become extreme. Agorophobia threatens and pfft I didn't have it before but I am anxious by nature. The lack of social contact is extreme. Depression and despair threaten. When I went with bf to buy his hydrogen car (such a cool car choice), it felt like the most social contact I've had in forever. We only talked to a @#$# car dealer, but being around others in a place, it was just WOAH. Now maybe I didn't need to accompany him there and it took longer than expected but whatever I didn't get covid anyways. And I masked up seriously of course. But when that feels like more social contact than you've had in a while uh ... The lack of physical closeness to others (but bf yes yes but I want to hug my mom etc. I don't - heck I want to stand closer than 6 feet to people!). So eventually going on months and months one seeks a healthy medium in living their lives. It doesn't mean I need the bars open, I certainly would prefer they stay closed, it doesn't mean I need indoor gyms open but I might consider an outdoor gym, it's the medium of caution within what is allowed in CA now, not some let it all rip thing.

As for Russian trolls: better Russian trolls please. In one post yeppej is all can't we all just get along, people are too judgemental, "everyone is too my way or the highway". In the next yeppej is extremely judgemental of teachers wanting more precautions before going back to work. Who is judging now? And thinks it's her way or the highway determining what they should do. It's not exceptionalism, it's the ability to have some say over working conditions due to unionization. If not unionized and not likely to be, I guess one has to try other strategies, Google etc. also working from home but in jobs that are made for it. Dragging everyone down to "work will set you free" level is really not an improvement for almost anyone.
    Trees don't grow on money

Thread Information