Page 203 of 601 FirstFirst ... 103153193201202203204205213253303 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,030 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

From the discussion on this thread, there are folks who have no problem imputing really evil motives to others. I do not want those folks in charge of whether I get executed. Or suspended on my first day of school. Poor little guy. Six years old, and already a bad 'un.

I find it sad when people kill cops. I find it equally sad when cops are killing people of color and abusing them because they have the power to do so. It’s a 2 way street. The cops that killed Breanna have yet to be charged yet the family was paid 12 million. If it was my family member wouldn’t want money. I would want them to be charged and have a fair trial. That’s the only way things will change.

Tybee, I agree that you don’t want to label a first grader a problem. That’s why I suggested sending them home and doing online school if that’s a option. Some little kids won’t be mature enough for masks.

Terry, it was his very first day of school.

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    I find it sad when people kill cops. I find it equally sad when cops are killing people of color and abusing them because they have the power to do so.
    If we were actually afflicted with the evil of hate crime laws, would your blanket statement qualify as an inducement to violence through hate? I think making public statements such as this and another poster's "summarily executed" claim are irresponsible and stoke the flames of violence, but I'm glad you can't be arrested for expressing the opinion, however offensive it may be.
    "Things should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

sum•ma•ri•ly ►
    In a summary manner; briefly; concisely; in a narrow compass, or in few words; in a short way or method; without delay; promptly; without hesitation or formality.

I stand by my statement. Tamir Rice was killed within seconds of officers pulling up; the patrol car had not even stopped moving. There are many, many examples.

Tybee,

it is REALLY sad that his parents set him up to have a bad first day of school. It is also REALLY sad that schools formally suspend six year olds (but some may have no choice, rules and processes get set up because people aren’t reasonable and can’t just come get their kid, accept that the rule is a rule and either change school options or communicate to their kid that this is the price of admission and it will be paid.)

And yes, the parents set him up. They had to have some idea that that would happen, and they did not work with him adequately ahead of time to ensure that it did not.

where I teach, the child would have either put his mask back on, or been moved to our very pleasant quarantine while waiting for your parents room where he would be supervised Until his parents came to get him. Meanwhile the director would have had a phone conversation with them that would most likely lead to an in person meeting, and what happened next would have depended on how that went. As far as I know, we have had three students formally expelled and four suspended pending counseling. (One student was unfortunately in both categories - he was a clear danger to others) usually the parting of ways involves parents choosing withdrawal or the director saying basically “we don’t believe our program meets your needs at this time. We will refund the balance of your tuition and we wish you well on your educational journey.” Sometimes there is also an invitation to return if something changes.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken lady View Post
    Tybee,

it is REALLY sad that his parents set him up to have a bad first day of school. It is also REALLY sad that schools formally suspend six year olds (but some may have no choice, rules and processes get set up because people aren’t reasonable and can’t just come get their kid, accept that the rule is a rule and either change school options or communicate to their kid that this is the price of admission and it will be paid.)

And yes, the parents set him up. They had to have some idea that that would happen, and they did not work with him adequately ahead of time to ensure that it did not.

where I teach, the child would have either put his mask back on, or been moved to our very pleasant quarantine while waiting for your parents room where he would be supervised Until his parents came to get him. Meanwhile the director would have had a phone conversation with them that would most likely lead to an in person meeting, and what happened next would have depended on how that went. As far as I know, we have had three students formally expelled and four suspended pending counseling. (One student was unfortunately in both categories - he was a clear danger to others) usually the parting of ways involves parents choosing withdrawal or the director saying basically “we don’t believe our program meets your needs at this time. We will refund the balance of your tuition and we wish you well on your educational journey.” Sometimes there is also an invitation to return if something changes.
    Sounds like your school has a plan set up that works for your school, that's great.

Anyone who advocates suspending a child on his very first day of school because he disobeyed an order like that is not someone I want involved in my child's education. Luckily, my three sons are all grown and I do not have to worry about any of my grandchildren's schooling; their parents have that nicely under control, and are sensible, caring, nurturing parents. I am very lucky!

The child was not suspended; I'm not quite sure what happened. He was in my son's friend's class. They were laughing about it, and I think the teacher handled it in-house, and all was well. He's a good teacher. Sometimes, you have to get buy-in, even from the little ones. Admittedly, I only student taught in first grade, but I found them a fascinating age group, and it was a lovely experience. You definitely had a major impact on them, and how they saw school for the rest of their lives. I remember figuring out how to teach one child how to remember the letters in the alphabet, when she'd been struggling all year. What a rewarding day that was.

I've taught college since 1979. I don't think I've ever had a moment that rewarding in all those years, as teaching Lisa that alphabet song.

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Well, this country was founded upon the principle of individual liberty outside the tyranny of an oppressive government. It's been part of our national character for so long those of us who believe in that sort of thing would rather do things for the right reason than demand our leaders force us to do so. I think that's the opposite of pathetic, but being able to disagree may be the ultimate personal liberty these days. I hope we all get to keep it.
    We really could learn a lot about how to sanely run a country truly worth living in from our Social Democratic neighbor to the north - Canada. Rob

Senior Member gimmethesimplelife's Avatar
    Luanda and Craig have Covid - former neighbors that moved to Nogales, AZ. Craig tells me that the Borderland numbers are going up, the the government is lying,and rhat he expects martial law soon. Who knows what to believe but they are both home, both sick, but both not critical. Rob

Thread Information