Page 150 of 601 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151152160200250 ... LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 6008

Thread: Conavirus......

I started the day being depressed. Guess it depends on whether I think a large percentage of people are thoughtful, keep informed, and want to help their fellow man. Or whether they are a bunch of inconsiderate knuckleheads without a care for anyone, wanting only their own pleasure, or do not care about knowledge and being informed. Reading local posts and hearing from even relatives and I think it is the later.

Anyone who had a very basic knowledge of the 1918 flu, SARS #1 or MERS, or any zoonotic disease should be very worried. Our scientists were working on a NOVEL virus and knowledge has increased as more and more is known about it.

All we can hope for is either a vaccine or a mutation to a less virulent form. Nothing much will help if it mutates to a more virulent form. Good grief, I am very depressed this morning.

sweetana, I've been riding that rollercoaster for a while -- optimism that things will get better fairly soon and pessimism/depression at the idea that Americans have found a way to make something suck more than air travel. Our society finally is reaping the benefit of all that has been sown over the past 30-40 years. I'm sure some people feel really good about that. I comfort myself in the knowledge that they'll get theirs someday.
    Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which he has overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Quote Originally Posted by ApatheticNoMore View Post
    Before the mask advice changed my bf was like "i'm going to start wearing a mask to the store now" and I was like "masks aren't really effective, you should only wear them if you are sick or caring for a sick person". And he was like "they are just saying that to preserve them for healthcare workers". Well of course he was right. I'm never cynical enough like I say. Maybe I should have started getting advice from Nassim Nicholas Taleb rather than the authorities since hey my bf was. That's what it's come to I guess
    In early March, when COVID loomed on the horizon, I ordered provisions from Amazon--alcohol, wipes, gloves, masks... Masks just made sense to me. The first ones I got were just a few layers of jersey, but they are a barrier.

Quote Originally Posted by rosarugosa View Post
    I'm probably stirring the pot here, but I thought this was hilarious:
    Attachment 3303
    I see variations of this every day on social media. Courtesy of Russian bots and people who believe them.
    Love "they're HIPPO."

The magazine Psychology Today said in regard to resilience, Any crisis, such as the coronavirus pandemic, can test resilience.
    Looking to loved ones for help and emotional support,
    increasing self-care,
    and focusing on the aspects of the situation that are under your own control can help.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/us/basics/resilience

My understanding is there's never been a corona vaccine. Flu vaccines exist, but they're like blindly throwing darts at a target. Maybe great medical strides will be made this time, maybe not.

I think we have to hope it goes the way of the 1918 Flu.

Quote Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
    Since you're an expert on covid that knew way back then how it was transmitted, do you have a better suggestion for what they should have done? Or do you just want to bitch about the scientists because "yeah! Scientists suck!"
    I would like them to tell the truth as they know it at the time. I understand a nuanced scientific world where

1) not all scientists agree on what the facts are
    2) They may disagree on interpretation of facts, even if they agree on facts
    3) facts and interpretation change, evolving

But anyway, it wasn’t really the scientists who lied to the public. It was the bureaucrats representing science. Bureaucrats lying!. That is shocking!

Not.

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    My understanding is there's never been a corona vaccine. Flu vaccines exist, but they're like blindly throwing darts at a target. Maybe great medical strides will be made this time, maybe not.

I think we have to hope it goes the way of the 1918 Flu.
    That’s my understanding as well about no coronavirus vaccines now exist, and how many years has the scientific world and working on them? For JP1, I’m not knocking scientistS for not being able to invent the impossible. The scientific world is overall pretty small and ineffective when compared to the huge force of mother nature and the natural world. We are tiny cogs in the wheel.

There are coronavirusEs that dogs get and there is a vaccine for that, but they have a whole different lifestyle in the canine biological unit.

Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    But anyway, it wasn’t really the scientists who lied to the public. It was the bureaucrats representing science.
    exactly
    Trees don't grow on money

Rosa, too funny!

Thread Information