Quote Originally Posted by bae View Post
I think I will hold off on vaccinations until I've received satisfactory evidence of the safety and effectiveness from organizations other than the CDC/FDA at this point.
An issue I have is that both the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are mRNA vaccines that tell a cell's DNA to manufacture proteins that would stimulate the bodies immune response to Corona infections (my very basic understanding). There has never been an approved mRNA vaccine and it's made in a way totally different from other viral vaccines. The Pfizer vaccine trial period is what they are calling event defined, so that when they get to a certain number of infections, apparently 160 people, if the vaccinated group is being protected. I've not heard much about the longer safety of the vaccine or if there is a certain period when they can call it safe. I would like to learn more about the long term safety and any adverse effects, even if it is only theoretical at this time. The news focus has been more about effectiveness and less about safety although they are claiming the typical short term fever, fatigue, sore muscles, etc, but what about over time. The shingles vaccine pretty much put me out of action for several days. Although I wouldn't hesitate to get it again, but vaccines are not necessarily home free just based on effectiveness.

I suppose more time will tell and I would not be in the first group of health care people who would get the vaccine, but I would like some other to go first and to collect more information. I think there are scores of other vaccine trials using more traditional manufacturing methods, so maybe there will be more choices when the time comes. If I had the choice to get an mRNA vaccine today, I would probably go for it, but am still apprehensive.