Page 5 of 70 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Thread: Conavirus......

Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The excuse doctors use for over-prescription seems to be "You may have a concomitant bacterial infection, too--so just to be sure..."
    Australian researchers have managed to clone the virus, so a vaccine is likely in the works.
    I wonder if existing anti-virals work on this strain.
    It may be an excuse, but many times people will come down with a bacterial infection on top of viral infection, so I'm not sure I would disagree with having antibiotics on hand, or if the doctor hit a questionable mystery illness with antibiotics after someone had been battling a virus less than successfully.

The bacterial is the secondary infection, obviously. My husband just had a viral bronchitis for 8 weeks and finally went to the doctor and he cleared his lungs with 5 days on an antibiotic. I don;t think he over-prescribed. But I'm not a doctor, and actually, try to stay away from doctors.

Am I wrong in thinking about this as about the same level of scariness as the flu? It kind of makes me feel better to think about it that way because, even though the flu is no joke, I don't spend all day worrying about it.

Below are some stats about the flu. I copied these from a site called sharecare.com which I hadn't heard of before, but the information matched with numerous other sites where I saw the same stats.

"The flu infects millions of us -- 5 to 20 percent of the U.S. population, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). In Canada, 10 to 25 percent of the population gets the flu each year, according to Health Canada. It can leave us achy, sniffling, sneezing, coughing and generally feeling miserable for a few days or weeks.

Most think of the flu as a mild annoyance that comes around each winter, but it can be a very dangerous disease. In the United States alone, the CDC estimates that more than 200,000 people are hospitalized each year with the flu or with flu-related complications. More than 36,000 people die.

The World Health Organization has determined that the flu kills between 250,000 to 500,000 people each year."

I have seen similar flu figures that are intended to make the coronavirus seem less like some sort of pandemic. From what I can tell, we probably don't know. The numbers out of China are probably understated or incorrect, but a mortality rate of about 2%. The flu virus numbers are large in part because it is relatively common. Comparing the two, if 5% of the US 300 million population gets the corona virus with a mortality rate of 2%, the death toll might be 300,000. Rather than comparing absolute numbers, it makes more sense to talk about in terms of communicability and mortality rate. I don't think we know enough about things, yet.
    Last edited by Rogar; 1-30-20 at 9:06am. Reason: grammar corrections

We are approaching it we would any other possible epidemic at the hospital where I work. I think of it as similar to influenza, SARS, MERS, etc. The difference is we know less detail about how this virus works.

The truth is that humans are always vulnerable to pandemics and sudden death. We just forget that most of the time as we go about our lives.

The number one hint for avoiding just about any air-borne communicable disease, beyond social isolation: don't touch your face with your hands. Unless someone actually coughs or sneezes in your immediate vicinity you're most likely to pick up germs by touching things that have microscopic-droplets of mucus or saliva on them and then touching your eyes, mouth or nose.

I was talking about this last night and realized that while some people may be over reacting, some are just either too young or ... bad at math. The whole "the flu kills 20-80K people a year so this is no big deal" contingent. The 1918 pandemic killed approximately 2.5% of the people on earth. Today's 2.5% is closing in on 200 million people. Not saying this is "the big one" but that number gives some idea of what disease can do.

They’ve just confirmed that the Chicago area woman who got it from travel to China has now passed it to her husband.

I’m waiting to see how it’s going to affect my work (int’l shipping). So far all my China offices and vendors are working from home. I have stuff scheduled to sail next week and we’re wondering if there will be workers to load the ships.

Vegas thinks they have a case but it will be 2 days before they know for sure.

Obviously not a fully valid comparison, but over a few generations something like 90 or 95 percent of the Native American populations died from diseases introduced by Europeans.

The WHO just officially declared it an international emergency.

Even here in my most progressive little corner of the world, I'm seeing this incident cause all sorts of ugly racism and stereotypes to pop up:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/30/opini...ang/index.html

Thread Information