Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sleeping temperatures

sleeping temperatures

I meet with a small bunch every month or so for dinner. Most recently the topic of typical winter thermostat settings at night time come up. I sleep in the 66 or 68 degree range. Among the small sample size, this was several degrees warmer than all others. I've added insulation to the ceiling and upgraded the windows but an older home without wall insulation and sometimes the cold or heat radiates from walls. I'm going to try running the house a little cooler, especially at night time. It seems like my thermoregulation system has a more narrow comfort zone as I've gotten older, so it will be a test.
    "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" Mary Oliver

I prefer 55 or so for sleeping. Often keep the windows open in winter.

I’m with Bae. I don’t have the window open, but high 50s are best for me.

I have slept in the same bed with DH for 47 years, but we have just recently encountered an almost insurmountable challenge to being able to continue sleeping in the same bed. He likes the room temperature about 75-80. I find when I can no longer stand the heat, I get up and move to the second bedroom, which typically isn't heated (we shut the door when not using it, cutting off the heat from the heat pump). I find I really like the cold room (I would guess it's about 55-60 in the winter months). How do you compromise with such a large gap!
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by catherine View Post
    I have slept in the same bed with DH for 47 years, but we have just recently encountered an almost insurmountable challenge to being able to continue sleeping in the same bed. He likes the room temperature about 75-80. I find when I am can no longer stand the heat, I get up and move to the second bedroom, which typically isn't heated (we shut the door when not using it, cutting off the heat from the heat pump). I find I really like the cold room (I would guess it's about 55-60 in the winter months). How do you compromise with such a large gap!
    You don’t. That where separate bedrooms come in. There’s no reason you should be forced to have no sleep because spouse is snoring, tosses and turns too much, likes a bedroom temp much different than you’re comfortable with.

Our thermostat is set at 64 overnight. We both prefer it to be cool when sleeping. The difference is that I use light blankets and SO uses a heavy down comforter.

This reminds me of my parents. They always slept in side by side twin beds like Rob and Laurie Petrie on the Dick Van Dyke show because mom was always too warm and Dad too cold. He had an electric blanket and Mom swore that his blanket made the room too hot. LOL. It was probably more a matter of the fact that her bed was next to the furnace vent. If they were still alive and I was discussing it with them I'd suggest that they switch beds because a) the furnace vent location, and b) the house didn't have insulated walls so dad's bed, next to the outside wall, was likely cooler. But it's too late for that now... They spent 25 years living with it.

Growing up our house was kept at 65 day and night. Mom insisted on that to save energy, and because she liked it cool. She typically just wore a short sleeve t-shirt around the house all winter. The rest of us were perpetually cold. One day, out of curiosity, I turned the thermostat down to 60 shortly after I got home from school. Just to see what would happen. By dinnertime it was COLD. At dinner Dad, bundled up in a quilted housecoat, said "My god, woman, it's cold in here!" Mom, still in a t-shirt, said "Oh P, it's no colder than it ever is." And dinner went on. No one thought to check the thermostat since it was literally never moved. I sat there chuckling to myself about the whole thing and then after dinner set the thermostat back to 65 and then stood in front of the dining room vent to warm up from my self-imposed bout of hypothermia.

jp, my heat stays at 60 all winter - in the Chicago area. I’m like your mom, wandering around in a thin t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradd View Post
    jp, my heat stays at 60 all winter - in the Chicago area. I’m like your mom, wandering around in a thin t-shirt.
    If we wanted it that cold we wouldn’t have needed the heat pump. We could just have just turned off the old furnace and we’d be good. It rarely gets below freezing here.

I used to need to be warm but as I’ve gotten older I’ve turned more and more into my mother.

Our thermostat goes to 65 at night, but it's probably cooler in our inadequately heated bedroom, which suits me fine. We have a heated mattress pad, and DH likes it warmer in bed than I do, so he just puts his side of the bed on a higher setting.

We keep the temperature at 60-65 all through the winter. One of my favorite things is to be all bundled under warm covers while I sleep, so it doesn't bother me to be in the cold until I get out of bed. LOL. During warmer weather, I do sleep with a window open.
    To give pleasure to a single heart by a single act is better than a thousand heads bowing in prayer." Mahatma Gandhi
    Be nice whenever possible. It's always possible. HH Dalai Lama
    In a world where you can be anything - be kind. Unknown

Thread Information