Page 93 of 168 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103143 ... LastLast
Results 921 to 930 of 1679

Thread: Conavirus......

  1. #921
    Senior Member flowerseverywhere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,643
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think this is an important point, that those of us who are privileged to stay home are in fact privileged. And it fits in with my idea that we, the privileged, need to exercise our privilege by not increasing the burden on society by getting sick.
    exactly what DH and I were just talking about. We fell like we are part of the stay at home nerds but there are some behaving like a senior citizen version of animal house. My friend who works for a local MD said they are expecting a huge spike within a few weeks here. Restaurants and stores are open so it’s party time.

  2. #922
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,474
    Quote Originally Posted by iris lilies View Post
    I think this is an important point, that those of us who are privileged to stay home are in fact privileged. And it fits in with my idea that we, the privileged, need to exercise our privilege by not increasing the burden on society by getting sick.
    Yeah, today I went to the dentist. I broke off half of a back molar. I was concerned about getting an infection. The level of caution taken was very unnerving. I told them I wanted them to check the tooth, if nothing HAD to be done to get me out of there ASAP. I live in a small town so the idea of grocery delivery is not realistic either. I am retired but do not consider myself privileged. There are times when you have no choice but to go out in society no matter your situation. It helps that not everyone is out but staying home.

  3. #923
    Senior Member Teacher Terry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    9,526
    My friends in Wisconsin feel the governor overreacted when he extended the order 6 weeks at once until the end of May. Considering that Wisconsin has double the population of Nevada and many less cases it appears so. They finally get a Democratic governor and blow it.

  4. #924
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,546
    News you can use to stay healthy as things open up:

    https://erinbromage.wixsite.com/covi...hem-avoid-them

    In order to get infected you need to get exposed to an infectious dose of the virus; the estimate is that you need about ~1000 SARS-CoV2 viral particles for an infection to take hold, but this still needs to be determined experimentally. That could be 1000 viral particles you receive in one breath or from one eye-rub, or 100 viral particles inhaled with each breath over 10 breaths, or 10 viral particles with 100 breaths. Each of these situations can lead to an infection.

    The article then goes on to explain how much virus is released by various activities (breathing, coughing, sneezing, singing, etc).

    TLDR version, being indoors with more than a few people for longer periods of time is far more risky than most non-crowded outdoor activities (passing someone on the street), or brief indoor activities (shopping in a big, non-crowded store.)

  5. #925
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,951
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My friends in Wisconsin feel the governor overreacted when he extended the order 6 weeks at once until the end of May. Considering that Wisconsin has double the population of Nevada and many less cases it appears so. They finally get a Democratic governor and blow it.
    The numbers are good because people are staying home, aren't they?
    I would rather err on the side of caution in this case.

    CDC guidelines on the matter:

    https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...22j8wsjGuEyacc

  6. #926
    Senior Member catherine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    10,605
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneV2.0 View Post
    The numbers are good because people are staying home, aren't they?
    I would rather err on the side of caution in this case.

    CDC guidelines on the matter:

    https://www.motherjones.com/kevin-dr...22j8wsjGuEyacc
    Yeah, my thought was same as Jane's... if WI has double the population and many less cases, maybe it's because of the governor's caution and leadership.

    Here in VT, we are way down the list on #s of cases, and our curve is on the downslope, yet no one expects any businesses to open before the end of May. Phil Scott just opened parks and dog parks and golf courses, but everything else will be closed for the coming weeks.
    "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it--every, every minute?" Emily Webb, Our Town
    www.silententry.wordpress.com

  7. #927
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    7,921
    There seems no immediate plan to send anyone back to the office for awhile, they will wait and see, maybe even regardless what the governor does. And my boss also said she'd rather work from home, not that she determines it. Everything changes by the day, I don't think anyone including this state has a plan, yes I've tried to learn about their vague so called plans.
    If you want something to get done, ask a busy person. If you want them to have a nervous breakdown that is.

  8. #928
    Senior Member jp1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    5,546
    And the results are in. If everyone wears a mask the spread of the virus is significantly slowed.

    https://www.sciencetimes.com/article...face-masks.htm

  9. #929
    Senior Member JaneV2.0's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    11,951
    Yeah--I quoted this guy a few weeks back: "The big mistake in the US and Europe, in my opinion, is that people aren't wearing masks," said George Gao, the director-general of the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention, to Telegraph.

    Gao added, "This virus is transmitted by droplets and close contact. Droplets play a very important role - you've got to wear a mask, because when you speak, there are always droplets coming out of your mouth."


    And I've maintained all along that masks work. I think the reason we were told early they were worthless was to conserve masks for healthcare workers.

  10. #930
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    2,474
    Quote Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
    My friends in Wisconsin feel the governor overreacted when he extended the order 6 weeks at once until the end of May. Considering that Wisconsin has double the population of Nevada and many less cases it appears so. They finally get a Democratic governor and blow it.
    I disagree. Our numbers have not met the guidelines yet ... 2 weeks with declining numbers. In my mind, it is better to err on the side of caution. I don't necessarily like Evers but think this was the right call.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •